Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

(Yes I know this isn't a requested one but give me a break because I've been at a band retreat for the past few days and I'm tired and I just want to write whatever right now. Any band kids here? Cause I will automatically love you forever :) Also kudos to Fall_Out_Girl_16 for helping me push through when I was struggling with words)

- - - - -
"You've got to be kidding me." Nico stared at the blond who grabbed the last container of cookie dough ice cream from the freezer at the store.
"Sorry?"
"You would not believe the day I've had, my only comfort being that there was a container of my weakness waiting for me to snag on my way home and you stole it from me! Give it." Nico held out one hand, palm up, tapping his foot impatiently. He wouldn't normally be this persistent. He really should accept his losses and move on, but right now, he couldn't.
"Excuse me? How do you know my day has been a walk in the park? Maybe I need this tub more. I was here first." Will scowled, standing his ground, squaring his shoulders. Tension rose in the frozen aisle of the deserted (except for the singular cashier) convenience store. It was just after three am and exhaustion had lowered the patience level of both men. "I've rightfully earned this ice cream."
"Can't you just buy some somewhere else?" Nico tried to reason with the man, becoming desperate. "I found out my only family member is moving across the world, didn't get accepted into the program I really wanted, and I just want to eat my ice cream and drown my sorrows."
"It's literally three in the morning, nowhere else is open. I just spent six hours in surgery, lost the patient, and pulled a double shift. I am going to eat my ice cream and crash in front of the television." Will marched dutifully up to the counter.
Nico watched him walk away, finally admitting defeat. He ran a hand through his hair (he really needed a haircut) and walked out, shooting one last glare towards the blond. He waited on the sidewalk to flag down a taxi when he heard the chime of the bells above the door. Someone came and stood beside him.
"Look, if you want you can come over and share it with me, but don't expect me to be great company." The blond gave a lopsided grin, before sticking his hand out. "I feel like we got off to a bad start. I'm Will Solace, pleasure to meet you."
Nico stared at the hand, hesitating for a second before giving in. "Nico di Angelo. Pleasure's all mine," He managed to give a small smile back. Will whistled down a cab and they both got in. The ride was short, and soon they were outside a tall building of apartments.
"It's not much, but considering how little time I spend here, it does the job." Will led the way to the elevator. "I'm sorry about your family member and program, by the way. That's shitty."
"Nah, you were right. Your day was no picnic. Thank you, though. And really, my sister and her husband have been talking about moving for such a long time, I should be over it." The doors opened and Will led the way to the flat at the end of the hall.
"If I'm not overstepping here, what happened to the rest of your family?" Will went into the kitchen to grab two spoons before leading them to the couch. They sat turned so they could face each other and close enough to share the tub.
Nico gratefully accepted the spoon and ignored the feeling of warmth when their fingers met. He bit his lips, hesitating, but he figured he'd take the chance - he's at the guy's house for goodness sake! "It's not exactly the most uplifting story. My dad left when I was three, mom was hit by a drunk driver, sister got caught up in the wrong crowd. Hazel, the one moving, is only my half sister. We share the same fraternal DNA, but, she's all I got. We bonded over the mutual hate we have for him." There was an awkward silence. "So. . . How long have you been a doctor?"
Will took a scoop and swallowed before answering. "Five years since I've been completely done with everything school related." Will's blinks were getting longer, the pull to keep his eyes shut becoming stronger, but he shook it off. He wouldn't be able to keep sleep at bay for much longer, however. "What do you do?"
"I own a record store." Nico let out a large yawn before going to stand up. "I should let you get to bed, thank you, for everything."
"It was really nice meeting you, even if the beginning was a tad rough." Will gave a small smile before covering his mouth while he yawned. "Well you know where I live, stop by for ice cream sometime, eh?"
"When's your next day off?"
"Thursday. I'd better see you then." Will's eyes lingered on the taller man's lips briefly, before he stepped back.
Nico nodded before closing the door behind him and walking down the hall to the elevator, the small smile never leaving his face. He could hardly wait until then.
- - - - -
Nico paced his store, waiting for six o'clock to roll around so he could stop by Will's. It had been a busy day, unusually so for a Thursday, but he wasn't complaining. It kept his mind off his later plans. He grabbed the black hair tie from his wrist and threw his hair up in a messy bun before starting through his closing routine. As tempted as he was to close early, he resisted.
At precisely six, he was outside and the door was locked. Will's wasn't too far away so he walked, stopping to buy some ice cream first, cookie dough. At 6:27 he knocked on Will's door.
"Hey!" Will's face instantly brightened when he saw who was at the door, and even more so when he saw the ice cream Nico was holding. "How was work today?"
"Busy, and I didn't even go into the disaster of a storeroom today. I was not having it today. You should pop by sometime."
"Maybe I will," Will grabbed two spoons and sat down on the counter in front of Nico. "So I was thinking."
"As humans usually do." Nico retorted.
"Wow. No need to be a smartass. Anyways, I was thinking I definitely need your number, because that's how friends usually communicate." Will trailed off, suddenly nervous.
"Friends?" Nico cocked a brow and Will blushed, distracting himself with a bite of ice cream. "And all this time I thought we might become something more."
Will's face was priceless and he choked on his bite. "I mean-I guess-If you-" He stuttered.
Nico stepped closer so he was standing in between Will's legs and their faces were closer. "I was hoping you might agree to go on a date with me. Even though you totally stole my ice cream the other night."
"Hey, I think it worked out pretty well on both ends," Will smiled before hesitantly closing the distance between them.
Nico's lips were cold against his, and chapped, but he didn't care. It all felt so right. Will wrapped his legs around Nico to pull him even closer, biting gently on his lip before pulling away and resting their foreheads together. Will took a moment to pull Nico's hair out of the bun and bury his fingers in it for a minute before finally pulling away. They moved to the couch and Will put the TV on, but neither were paying attention, too caught up in each other.
- - - - -
Nico smiled to himself as he stared at Will, who was sitting on the counter in his shop. He had accepted the likely situation of being alone the rest of his life a long time ago. Sure he had had flings, but nothing he had ever wanted to turn serious. And never had he suspected that Will would be the one to make him start to change his outlook when they first met several months ago.
"Stop staring at me," Will swatted Nico away, embarrassed.
"Can't help it that I have a beautiful boyfriend. When do you have to be at the hospital?" Nico resumed his job of writing prices and sticking them on the records.
"Half an hour, so I should leave in fifteen. What time is the going away party tomorrow?" He saw Nico stiffen slightly and look up at the ceiling, blinking quickly, before answering.
"Two. If you can't trade shifts, it's fine. I really should have checked with you before letting Hazel set a date."
"Hey," Will grabbed Nico's hand and waited for him to make eye contact. "I want to meet her and Frank." Will pulled Nico into his arms for several minutes, enjoying the warmth.
- - - - -
Nico reluctantly let go of Hazel, knowing this would be the last time he saw her for a long time. Their flight was really early the next day. He felt a comforting hand resting on the small of his back as he watched them walk away, and he was entirely grateful for it. He leaned into the touch.
"She's not gone forever." Will reminded the taller man softly.
"I know, but it still sucks."
"I can't even imagine how hard it would be to lose your only family, even if it's just to time change and distance." Will pulled Nico into him and held him.
"You make it easier. I guess somewhere along the line I've begun to see you as family, too." Nico leaned down and joined their lips together briefly.
"I love you."
"I love you."
Will disentangled their bodies and led Nico to the kitchen. "Ice cream?"
Nico let out a small laugh, grabbing two spoons. "Cookie dough?"