I'm Sorry

"I'm going to go shower, then we can head out," Will informed Nico, before grabbing his phone and his towel and locking the door. Nico didn't think anything of it, just got ready to go out for dinner.

Looking back, he should have seen the signs. Nothing too obvious, but when you stack them all together, it was the equivalent of a flashing neon sign saying 'I'M SEEING SOMEONE ELSE". Nico hated himself for taking so long to piece things together.

First, it was having a password on his phone, when he had never bothered before. It was just in case it got lost, he said.

Then, he never left his phone out of his reach. Notifications were turned off. Showering? Bring it with him. Sleeping? Placed safely under his pillow. Anywhere else? Tucked safely in his pocket or grasped firmly in his hand. He was never without it.

There had been a bruise on his hip, but that was from 'bumping into a corner'.

They hadn't gone out on a date in months, barely cuddled, and rarely slept together. Will was 'just too tired', and, 'Raincheck? I don't feel like it'.

Nico hated himself for letting it go on for so long. He hated thinking of all the times he said I love you only to get a mumbled reply or a head nod in return. Hated thinking what they must have thought of him, the two of them laughing at how stupid and naive he must be for them to be together right under his nose.

Nico didn't think much of it when Will had to start staying an hour later at work, but his paycheck didn't increase. He didn't pay enough attention to notice.

He didn't think much of it when Will and a coworker carpooled to a weekend of seminars for work, turning down Nico's offer to turn it into a little vacation for the two of them because it would be boring, and he would have hardly any free time to do anything together.

But it was impossible to miss the hickey accidentally left on his neck, covered hastily with makeup when he got back from his trip, clicking all the pieces together in Nico's brain, shattering his heart in the process.

-

Nico still hadn't said anything. If he left, where was he supposed to go? It was Will's apartment. He had no family to stay with, he couldn't afford his own place, he didn't want to ask any friends to crash at theirs. He hated being a burden, and that's how he felt every single day when Will walked through that door.

He never said anything when Will's shirt was buttoned incorrectly in his haste to get dressed and rush home.

He never said anything when Will's hair was mussed, and he shrugged it off saying it was windy outside when trees stood as still as a rod.

Instead, he opted for trying to save the relationship. He would be extra doting. He would have elaborate dinners made, buy flowers and presents, try anything that might make Will remember what he first saw in Nico, if he ever actually saw anything at all.

-

Will had gotten careless. He left his phone unlocked on his bedside table before falling asleep, and seeing as he had crashed hard, Nico reached over and picked it up, only hesitating for a few seconds. He opened his messages. Paolo was his most recent conversation.

'Hey babe, I miss you'

'I know, just two more hours until I get off work, and then I'll be over. Can't wait <3'

Nico's eyes filled with tears, reading the exchanges of love, and he felt like he was slowly bleeding out scrolling through several less appropriate exchanges. He was about to put it away and forget he ever saw anything at all when his name had come up in conversation, albeit, briefly.

'When are you finally going to break up with Nico?'

'I know babe, and I'm sorry. He doesn't have anywhere else to go, I feel bad for the kid'

'I thought you didn't love him anymore'

'I don't. You know how I feel about you and nothing will ever change that. I'll do it soon, I promise'

He shut off the phone and stuck it back on the nightstand before going out on the balcony and letting out the heart-wrenching sob he'd been holding back for the last several months.

He would do it. He would break it off himself in the morning. He was done living this lie, and he didn't want to fix anything anymore. He was done with Will and all of his bullshit.

-

"Morning babe." Will greeted, stretching. Nico's eyes were glued to the faint, finger shaped bruises sticking out from under his waistband. He felt sick being called the same term of endearment he used for his lover.

"Morning." Nico looked away and heard Will start texting. He went to open his mouth again, to yell every single profanity possible, to get mad, to tear apart the house, but...he couldn't.

He waited until Will left the house with barely a goodbye before Nico slowly packed up every last trace of his ever being there.

The house looked unusually empty, and that's what it was now, a house and not a home. The only thing out of place was the small, crisply-folded piece of paper on the island with the words, 'I'm sorry I wasn't enough.'

-

When Will got home, his eyes immediately landed on the paper, and he went and opened it. A single tear fell from his eye as guilt washed over his body. "I'm sorry Nico. You deserved better," he whispered into the deserted building. "I'm sorry."

(A/N: So I won't be able to update Flatmates today, as I haven't been able to write this week, but here's a one shot I wrote on Tumblr awhile ago to try and make it up to you guys)