Chapter 29

Prem

"Bitto," I started as I entered the living room, but before I can continue Bitto cut me off,

"Is she okay, Bhaiya?" she asked and even if she was teary eyed; her concern was genuine reflecting what a pure soul my baby girl is. Even if she is hurt herself, she is worrying about Preeti's wellbeing.

I gave her smile and replied, "Yes she is". I took a seat beside her and took her in a side hug before continuing,

"Please don't be mad baby girl; we really wanted to tell you everything-" Bitto again cut me off.

"Then why didn't you? Both of the people I trust the most have been hiding things from me and that too this!" Why doesn't she let me finish?

I took a deep breath before trying again, "I am telling you now only if you'll let me-"

"Why now when I already learnt everything?" Yes, she did it again.

"Will you let me speak please?" I asked exasperated. May be there was something in my tone or the way I said it, but she finally kept quite letting me talk.

"Bitto, we never wanted to hide things from you. In fact, we wanted to tell you right away. However, Preeti was not ready; she wanted to tell you, but she was not sure about us in the long run," Bitto looked at me astonished, "We can't really blame her baby, she is a girl with responsibilities, not only towards her family but also towards her professional roles. She wanted to be ready for the prospect of a future with me before taking any next step."

"However, I knew it will be more devastating for you if you knew and then we didn't work out. Therefore, I decided that as soon as we feel like taking a next step to dating, we will tell you," I finally finished without interruptions.

"Seriously, Bhaiya! Dating?" she gave a look saying she didn't like the term at all.

"Well, what else should I call the whole trying to get to know each other phase? Because that is what we have been doing the past few months."

"How long have you been seeing each other actually?" she asked.

"Since a couple weeks after your semester begun; I asked her out when I visited Cheenu once, you were having classes and I only have a little time to spare," I added hastily when she gave me suspicious looks about my visit. "She was having a meeting in the Cafeteria, so I took the opportunity and talked to her after that. She took her time to answer but since then we've been trying to learn about each other before we tell anyone." I told her whatever I could without disclosing too much as Preeti want to do that herself.

"So, does that mean no one else knows?" she asked.

"Well... Actually Aman and Anand does..." she gave me a stinky eye at that, "But it was by pure accident." I added hastily.

"Aman picked up my call once by accident, and Anand learnt when I had to pick her call in his presence because she called unexpectedly." She looked at Anand for confirmation and only at his nod did she look satisfied; well that hurt, "Ouch! So, you need to cross verify my words now?" I asked her.

"Well not really, but I'm still angry at the both of you for hiding this from me. I mean it would have been the most wonderful news of my life but you both spoiled it," she complained.

"I know baby, but trust me, we had planned this day with many happy moments and nothing else, but she unexpectedly got sick. I even had to call a doctor because she fainted," Bitto looked worried at that so I hurriedly added, "but nothing to worry; she is just exhausted and hasn't been eating well for some reason."

"Well, I guess I know what it is then." I exchanged a glance with Anand before giving her a questioning look. "She is missing Aman for one, and moreover, the case she was working on the last couple days was not a good one. Apparently, from what I heard, she had to rescue a girl child being forced into marriage by her community, that too with a man thrice her age. The girl was in a very pitiful condition and wouldn't let anyone near her; Di had a hard time getting her medical aid even after she was rescued and the culprits been arrested." She told me giving me answers for her need of my close presence and condition.

"Well, now that we are through with this, I need to go back to her. She is not really in the condition to be left alone," Bitto tried to speak but I stopped her, "No baby I can't let you keep her company. She has specifically asked me to stay with her because maybe she wants to talk about what happened and she wouldn't want to expose you to such horrors beyond what you already know."

"Anyways, there's food in the kitchen, all your favourites, because she wanted to give you treat with this news, but anyways. You both go have dinner then rest or vice versa, whatever you like. And don't bother with cleaning; I'll do that when I'll go to make something for her later when she needs to take medicines."

With this, I returned to my room to give her my complete attention as she needed. I checked her temperature and it seemed to have reduced a little, which is good. I then changed and went to settle beside her when a knock came at the door. I went to open it and they both were here.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I wanted to check on her once," Bitto said moving towards Preeti.

"Is Bhabhi getting better?" Anand asked me.

"Yeah, the temperature is going down and she is finally sleeping and not slipping in and out of consciousness and unconsciousness." I told him and just then, Bitto came towards us having satisfied herself with Preeti.

"Bhaiya, have you informed her family, because they will be back tomorrow and you said she can't move till she is okay?" Bitto asked making me realise I didn't.

"Don't worry, I'll call them just now and inform them. You go and rest." With this, they left for their respective rooms and I called Preeti's mother to inform her and asked her permission to keep her for a few days. I obviously told them she was here for Bitto when she fell ill, but that wasn't really untrue.

Now we just need to make sure she recovers soon enough.

***