Chapter 21

Preeti

I woke up to the sound of wind. It was rattling through the curtains. I realised that I dozed off in his arms. He was still asleep. I slowly got out of his embrace without disturbing his sleep. He looked so peaceful. I walked to the windows and closed them. I realised it was already evening. I took my phone and came out of the room to call home. Ammu picked up.

"Hello?"

"Ammu"

"DeeMa! Where are you? It's so late" he complained.

"I know Ammu but I'm with your jiju baby. We dozed off talking and he is still asleep. I can't leave him like this. I'll come as soon as he wakes up baby. Just tell Maa that I'm gone for a meeting and you do your work until I come. Okay Ammu?" I asked and on getting an affirmation, "Take care my baby." I said as I ended.

I felt a pair of arms drape around my waist as he back hugged me and put his chin on my shoulder. I don't know why but his touch doesn't feel wrong. I know we should keep our line, but this feels so right and pure.

"Called home?" he asked sleepily.

"Hmm" I replied keeping my hands on his over my stomach.

"I don't want you to go," he complained.

"I'll come back tomorrow. I'm done rearranging my schedule."

"But Aman's classes don't begin for another three weeks!"

"So? I don't need a reason to come home." I replied smiling.

He released me only to turn towards him.

"You know what?" I looked at him "I Love You" he said with those warm eyes and so softly that I felt air leave my body. I froze; but as soon as he smiled, I returned it without a thought and buried my face in his chest. I was blushing profusely. I felt warmth all over my body but my face was burning. He held me tightly.

"I'll wait for the day you can say it back. But till then, I'm happy I have you." he said after a while.

"I have to tell you a lot before that and I think we won't be having time to doze off from tomorrow." I told looking up at him. "I'll be here approximately the same time as today; but I don't want you to leave your work to come over." I stopped him from protesting. "I'll wait and now that I've the keys, I'll use the time exploring my home. So just, take a good night sleep today and everyday from now onwards. I'll need your full attention when I'll bare my heart."

He smiled and we went back to my room for me to collect my things. It was already late so he decided to drop me off. I think this is going to be our new routine now.

***

"I'm home," he said as I felt his arms slip around my waist as he came behind me.

I'm in Kiran's room right now. I already went through kitchen, dining and guest rooms in the first couple of days, before taking a break from my exploration. I wanted to give proper time and attention to important rooms. I looked around Anand's room couple of days back and tried to learn a bit about his personality through it. Now I'm at Kiran's.

"Don't you think Kiran is quite grown up to play with all these toys and dolls?" I asked smiling at the habit he developed over the past few days. He will always back hug me whenever he'll find me standing all alone. I asked him yesterday and he said it feels good to feel our hearts beating in sync. It answered my unrealised query why this felt so pure and right.

"Actually, I never really got a chance to renovate her room back at our old house. Therefore, when I had to this time, I recollected all her demands and complaints over the years and put them all in this room. That's why it was such a big surprise," he said as if reliving the moments again. "You know Preeti, the look on Bitto's face when she saw her room; it was something I can give my life for."

I smiled as I turned in his arms.

"I can understand. Still, don't you think we should start treating our baby like a lady rather than a kid now? She is about the age of marriage." I asked and he sighed heavily.

"I know, and I understand too; but you know what? I don't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it even though..." he trailed and then sighed "I just can't bear the thought of losing her," he said sadly.

"You won't," I said wrapping my arms around him as I hugged him tight; and once again, it didn't feel wrong. "Our baby will always be ours. We'll just add one person with her, whom we'll love and who'll love our girl like us." I told him and he sighed wrapping his arms around me.

***

I went to get him a coffee while he took a shower. I increased my hours of stay as it never felt enough. So, instead of just falling into conversation right away, we developed this schedule where he'd take a relaxing shower while I'll get us coffee, and then we'll begin our journey in the memory lanes introducing each other with our lives.

By the time I entered my room again, he was already settled on the bed waiting for me to sit beside him, as we'll cuddle each other with our coffees and talk. And just like that, another day begun, or ended, whatever it can be termed.

***