Chapter 20

Prem

It's been two weeks since I met Preeti last. Our family dinner was fabulous but since then we didn't get to see each other. Aman's lessons were postponed by a month and we were caught up in our work. I'm dead tired of everything and desperately need to see Preeti. Don't know when it'll be!

"Sir, the clients are here." Suraj informed as he entered and we left for the meeting.

I was wrapping up with the presentation when my phone rang. It's Preeti.

"So gentlemen, this all for today; further you can deal with Suraj". I wrapped up and passed over to Suraj while leaving with my phone. "Suraj take over please," I said as I exited.

"Hello!" I was breathless as I almost ran to take the call before it gets disconnected.

"Hey" she said with a chuckle "Have you been running?" she asked.

"You can say so. After all I don't get your unexpected call to surprise me every day." I said with a smile.

"I was thinking if you are free today evening-"

"Will you come if I am?" I cut her in between.

"Well" she said with a small laugh, "I'm coming even if you're not. I don't really need a company in my own house. Isn't it?" she asked.

"True, but I need yours to breathe easy again. It feels so lonely without you and Bitto." I said.

"I know." she said with a sigh.

"So, what time shall I pick you up?" I asked after a pause.

"I'll come over myself. Just be there to receive me," she said playfully.

"But I can pick you up." I argued.

"But I want to come by myself. This way I'll learn my way home soon." she said making me smile.

"In that case, I'll be waiting. What time will you come?"

"I'll be there before five"

"Okay, see you then."

"Bye"

"Bye"

***

I was eagerly waiting for Preeti to turn up. I knew I was early, but I just can't help it. The doorbell rang and I opened it in a flash. There she stood beautiful as always and once again, she took my breath away. Without thinking, I enclosed her in a tight hug. She froze. I knew I crossed the line but I just couldn't help. Not being able to see her after getting so close to getting her forever just made me impatient. I didn't want to let her go and to my immense pleasure, she relaxed after a while and put her hands on my shoulders burying herself into me. I tightened my hold and we stayed like that for what felt like forever.

When I finally let her go to look at her face, she was blushing red but a smile that played on her lips told me she didn't mind my act. I reached for her hand and intertwined our fingers. I pulled her to sit with me on the couch but she stopped me. I turned to look at her.

"What happened?" I asked her.

"I want to be in my room. I like it there." she said softly looking at me with warm eyes. I felt happy hearing that.

Without a thought, I took her to her room. She hesitated for a minute looking around it and then moved to sit at the headrest of the bed. I realised she was nervous of the closed space and me. We might have spent some time here before, but that wasn't as intimate as for the first time we are going to spend lot of time here; together and alone. I moved to sit at the foot of the bed to make her at ease. She looked at me and smiled. A relaxed smile, before it widened and she forwarded her hand towards me. Unsure of what she wants, I took it, only to be gently pulled by her. She shifted a bit and made space for me to settle beside her. I looked at her to check whether she was sure enough, and the smile on her lips and the warmth in her eyes answered me. I took my seat and intertwined our hands.

After a while of silence, I decided to speak.

"So?" she looked at me "I felt like I wasn't breathing properly for the past week." I told her.

"I was dying to see you too," she said looking into my eyes.

I couldn't help scooting over to embrace her. I felt happy when she didn't resist and put her head on my chest. I felt trusted.

"Hey, I've got something for you." I reached the drawer beside her bed and pulled out the spare keys to the house. They were of all except the basement. I've kept the keys in two sets. Upper house separated from the lower one. It has to be secret until the time comes. I put the keys in her hand.

"These are your set of keys to your house, our house." I said and her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. I immediately to her in my arms and held her tight. "Please Preeti I can't see your tears. I can't see anyone crying, especially those dear to me. It breaks my heart."

"I'm sorry" she looked up to me trying to wipe her tears, "I'm just not used to this much love. I'm one of those who give it, but I've never actually received or felt it to this extent. You and Kiran just make me feel so overwhelmed." she said her voice hoarse by crying.

Her eyes continued to flow. I reached forward and wiped them with my hands. I took her back into my embrace. She relaxed after a while. We broke the hug but I didn't let her go. She kept her head on my chest and I scooted down so that we both were lying down on the bed. My arm draped around her and her head on my chest. I felt perfect. It felt so normal like it was nothing new, nothing wrong. We started to talk about some casual stuff, as it has already gotten too emotional for a journey down the memory lane.

***