Chapter 37

Prem

Last couple of months were the most quiet months we've had in a while. With the final year starting for Preeti and Bitto taking demo classes for various subjects to choose her major, things has been busy but without any excitement. We decided to move Bitto back home from the hostel as after everything we all needed to stay close to family and also with Preeti's regular visits home, she wanted to stay there to plan our coming out to her parents occasion.

Now Bitto has chosen her major in Business Laws. She said she wants to help me in business.*eye roll* As if! I'm never going to have her and Suraj together in the same space as me. It will be inviting chaos, as they will be fighting over my attention instead of working. However, I hope they both sort their differences soon as Suraj is getting impatient and I'm thinking of sending her to work with him in their business to learn so they can bond before we roll the ball for their marriage.

The summer vacations started yesterday and since Aman's music classes were interrupted during Ms. Chaudhary's incident, his classes are going to continue for a couple more weeks even after all the extra classes he has been taking. Somehow, Kiran and Preeti managed convince Preeti's parents to let Preeti and Aman stay with us for these couple weeks using these extra classes and Preeti's last summer vacations as an excuse. So tomorrow, I'm picking them up along with Bitto and Anand. Bitto didn't get a chance to vacate her room at the hostel so she went there today to pack everything and say her goodbyes to her roommate and friends.

***

Last few days were all fun and joy. I had my whole family with me and it felt like I couldn't ask for more. However, there's something I need to ask for and that is not going to easy because it's not in front of God that I am going to ask, but in front of Preeti's parents. I'm going to ask a girl's parents for her hand in marriage, asking them to give her away and this time not for a few days but forever. I just hope things turn out to be well.

Ms. Chaudhary came back a few days ago and has been busy with clearing her house, as she no longer wants to stay there. She is staying at the Banquet Hall only as she feels comfortable there and is planning sell her house through the same trust that was created for her father's property. She suggested that this marriage proposal should come as a regular one as it would not be good for the trust Preeti's parents share with their kids if they know that we have been lying to them. Therefore, Kiran said that she would go with the proposal along with Anand, tell them that it is their wish and I have agreed as I like, and respect Preeti. Preeti and Aman also agreed with the same and Aman also said that he is scared that their parents will get angry and now that Preeti is going to leave the house he doesn't want to have them angry while being left alone behind. This is something I didn't like to hear. I know their parents are good people and love their kids a lot, but I also know that Aman is not really close to them, as they never really shared the bond between kids and parents, as they do with Preeti. I've noticed that they are not as caring towards Aman as they are with Preeti. With Aman it's more they are controlling instead of caring. I'll have to think of something to resolve this fear that Aman has. It is not just about lack of love, it's like it's the fear of abandonment. I couldn't digest this fact.

***

Preeti

I'm so nervous today and the worst part is that I can't even show it. Jiji is here with me and we have told Maa-Papa that Kiran has asked us to meet her here as she has something to ask. They know how close I am to her and how Jiji has come close to all of us, so they didn't ask many questions. Maa is even cooking lunch for Kiran and Jiji and Ammu is with Papa trying to occupy him with his vacation's homework to hide my nervousness.

I am glad that my absence during the evenings has given Ammu a chance to bond with Papa, however, the difference between Maa and him is still as it has always been. I am also worried how he fears my absence in his life. I can't understand how we can get married with one of our kid having fear of abandonment. But I didn't get any chance to discuss this with him. Moreover, now that Bitto and Devarji are coming over with this wedding alliance, I'm not sure how to take things.