Chapter 34

Preeti

We reach the Banquet Hall ASAP. By what we deciphered from the call, we had inkling that we were the first ones to receive the call; therefore, we called the Doctor on our way and he pulled up just as we were getting out of the car.

We entered the room and saw that Ms. Chaudhary was freaking out and Kiran was trying to calm her down.

"What's going on?" I asked as I moved towards Ms. Chaudhary. She calmed down with my voice and suddenly she was sobbing while looking at me. I moved to hold her in my arms and started to soothe her.

"Shhhh... Its okay, everything all right. I'm here right. You need not worry about anything now. Hush..." I kept whispering soothing words until her sobs turned into small whimpers and she calmed down. I laid her down and signalled the doctor to come forward.

"Ma'am, Please let doctor check you, please" I asked her calmly. She nodded hesitantly but didn't loosen her hold on my hand.

After the doctor completed the check up and gave all clear, we decided that she needed to sleep for a while. I know she just woke up from a coma, but that just gave rest to her body, her mind needed some relaxing before she was plunged into the thick of things. Therefore, I convinced her to rest for some time and asked the doctor to give her some sedative to help her rest better.

We left the room and gathered in the main hall where the preparations for the event were going on. Devarji gave out some instructions and then we all proceeded towards his office to talk. When we settle in there, that is when I realise that my parents are not present. They were not here during the whole commotion.

"Where are my parents?" I ask no one in particular.

"In their room" Devarji said.

"What!" I asked confused, "Why didn't you call them to help if you were having difficulties calming Ma'am."

"Frankly, I didn't even think of anything" Devarji spoke, "I was just checking on her casually like we all do every now and then when I realised that her eyes were open... Before I could think of something or even react, she started screaming murder. She was panicking and yelling and I was scared to go near in case she hurt herself. She didn't know me and I didn't get any chance to tell her that I mean no harm."

I understand where he is coming from. It was almost the same scenario as when their brother 'kidnapped' me. I was freaking out before I learnt it's him. Here, Ms. Chaudhary didn't know Devarji so she may have thought of the worse.

"But why didn't she calm down when Kiran came in?" I asked realising that she was not letting even Kiran near her.

"I guess she was already too out of it by the time I reached there. She didn't even open her eyes and kept screaming for us to stay away." Kiran said.

"Well at least we know that Ms. Preeti here can help keep her calm. We just need to get the matter of her attacker sorted and it'll all be good." The doctor stated making me realise we didn't yet tell them about what all happened today.

I was about to speak when my phone started to ring. I was Inspector Singh calling so I couldn't ignore. We just took our leave from him then what happened in this short while.

"Yes Singh, what happened now?" I asked receiving the call.

"Whoa Ms. Dixit! Why do you think something happened for me to call you? Can't I just call you without a reason?" He said like the smartass he is.

"Would you cut it out?" I said irritated, then took a deep breath to calm myself. "Come on Singh, we are in the middle of something important; please be serious and tell me the real reason you called for."

"Alright, no need to get all worked up ma'am" he started to talk, "I called just to inform that Mr. Sinha has confessed to everything in front of the magistrate and the case has been submitted. You can file the divorce petition and the divorce will surely be granted instantly in the lights of present case. Only the judgement remains to be announced which I'm sure you can manage to get an early date for when the file is presented in the court on Monday since its weekend tomorrow."

"Wow that was fast Singh. How did you manage to get him to confess?" I ask amazed at the turn of events.

"Well..." he tries to create suspense to which I give him a growl and he is quick to continue then, "I just told him that he will be safer in jail since everyone he owes to is after him, obviously discreetly with clear message that I won't accept anything if he tries to out me". Well that was smart, but I definitely won't tell him that. He already has a big enough head.

"Well that's great then. I will get someone to get the dates for judgment. In addition, Ms. Chaudhary is awake, so we will be rolling the ball for the divorce in a couple days. Thank you for informing me."

"HendhfbfjkmcvkjdjvjjdkldldkhjlllHey come on now, why are you being so professional. I mean aren't we friends as well. Ever since you got your man, you've forgotten your friends. That's not very nice you know." Singh complains and he is right. Being busy with everything, I haven't taken much time out for my friends. Does she also think the same! I wonder.

"Alright, no need to get worked up man. I'll give you a call soon and then we'll plan something okay."

I wrapped up my call after that and turned to see that everyone was discussing something looking very serious. I moved to join them in their conversation.

"Hey guys. So what are we discussing?" I asked

"Hey, what was Inspector Singh saying?" He asked

"We have to send a lawyer to present our case and get an early date for the judgment on Monday. Mr. Sinha confessed everything when he was presented before the magistrate," I told them.

"That's great" Kiran exclaimed, "But how come he did it so early?"

"Singh used his mind a little; given his condition it shouldn't have been hard to stimulate him into confessing," I said

"Whatever, so that is out of the way now" Devarji said, "Now all we need to figure out is how to tame Ms. Teacher and then we are good to go for tomorrow's event."

Even though he does not say it, it is evident that he is very anxious for tomorrow. We need to focus on tomorrow before we move forward with anything else.

"You're right," I say, "You all should go and focus on tomorrow's preparations. I will go with Doctor and manage Ms. Chaudhary and get started on the case with my lawyer friends-"

"Let my lawyers handle this" He said cutting me off.

"But yours are Corporate Lawyers and we need a Family Lawyer" I argue.

"Hmm, in that case do you have someone relevant?" He asked further.

"Yes, don't worry; we have almost every relevant person available amongst our activist group. We'll handle this" I assure.

"Alright then, let me know if you need any help"

Thereafter, we decided to divide the work as I suggested. I was to spend the night with Ms. Chaudhary and after she's given all clear from the Doctor, I will try to tell her about her pregnancy. We will be discussing what all happened during the time she was missing and unconscious to evaluate her, so all that will be left to tell her would be about this.

***