Chapter 6

Prem

The first thing, or should I say person, I saw when I reached was none other than Preeti. She came running and hugged Bitto tightly saying something in her ears. I didn't get what it was but as soon as she left her I noticed Bitto frozen in shock while tears pooled her eyes. So worried to think I did what first came to my mind. I rushed towards her and hugged her tightly. Only when I felt her relax did I looked up to find Preeti busy with a few other students. Not having any other choice I released Bitto to ask her the matter, only to find her widely smiling!! I'm confused!

"Bitto!!"

"I love you Bhaiya," she said making me even more confused.

"Bitto what's the matter kid, why are you saying it and why were you crying?" I asked softly and she chuckled.

"Oh Bhaiya, I'm so sorry to worry you. I'm fine and I was not crying. It's just I couldn't believe my luck and the overwhelming happiness pooled my eyes"

"Umm Bitto!" I asked again confused on still not getting.

"Bhaiya I topped my class" she said chuckling and that's when it registered into my mind

"WHAT!" I almost screamed and has it not been her to foresee my reaction and closing my mouth with her palm, I would've drawn a lot of attention.

"Bhaiya what are you doing?" she asked nervously and I composed myself.

She released my mouth and I hugged her tighter again

"I'm so so proud of you my baby"

"Thank you Bhaiya"

I congratulated her once again and after settling her for another year away from me, I made my way back home with difficulty, since I won't be able to work with the hollow I'll be feeling at least today after separating her from myself again.

These two months were heaven with Bitto in front of my eyes again. Other than the occasional thoughts of Preeti, nothing much diverted my attention from Bitto. I even got a scolding from Suraj to get my mess together; moreover, had he not been there to take over after knowing the reason of my distraction, my work would have suffered.

Bitto told me a lot about Preeti again. I wasn't able to see her much during vacations. Her schedule in holidays was definitely changed and I had no way to get hold on it and moreover, I didn't want anything to distract me from my baby sister. Although in spite of everything, Preeti never left my mind completely.

I'm sure what I've been feeling for this girl is not just like, but love. I'm in love with this girl and the strange thing is I know nothing about her, not even as much as Bitto does. Nevertheless, I can't even tell her, let aside take her help to reach Preeti. However, I've decided to try. I'll try my best to get to know her and then I'll ask her.

I just hope I'll be able to man up enough to ask Preeti because in spite of being a businessman, I've never really had a female friend to know how to talk to girls. Bitto has been the only girl around me and she has been my kid rather than my friend. Now how to talk to Preeti!!

***

Time flew with wings and now comes the winter vacations. Bitto is coming over this time, as there's no camp this year. I didn't get much to talk to her these few months as I was lacking behind due to my summer vacations. Suraj did manage to survive and avoid losses, but it's not his place to manage everything. I went to see Preeti daily and didn't miss her even on weekends. Somehow, her schedule was less flexible this semester.

I'm at my office, working and waiting for my Bitto. I've sent Suraj to pick her up as I had a meeting. Anand is also out of town to meet some client and therefore, she refused to go to an empty house. Thus, she is coming over to my office, for the first time. She hasn't seen my office since I reconstructed it. She was here a couple of times when I took over, but then I reconstructed it, as the old building was no more maintainable. Bitto came over to my temporary office a few times, but then after observing her boredom, I used to send her to Anand's office whenever she'd be free. There're colours of life for her to find interest. In my construction business, here's nothing she can find interest in. What can I do!

But where have they gone! It's been half an hour since Suraj left to pick her up. They must have reached by now. I should call.

"What happened? Where are you? Why haven't you reached yet?" I fired all my questions in one breath as soon as my call was answered, only to receive cute giggles of my baby sis on the other side.

"Bitto!!"

"Yup" She replied still giggling and though I love to see her happy, her being this chirpy is not what I see or hear all the time. It's rare and there has to be a reason to it.

"Bittooo, what's happening?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Bhaiya you shouldn't have sent him to pick me up" she said and started to laugh.

"Areeeeeeee" Before I could ask anything else I heard her screeching and next came Suraj's voice.

"Sir it's nothing. She is just being over-dramatic" I raised another eyebrow hearing Suraj.

It's really unusual of both to behave this freely and though I'm happy to listen to their happy voices, I'm still anxious to what may be the reason.

"Suraj, what's exactly is the matter?"

"Sir we are reaching in ten minutes-"

"No twenty! I want an Ice-cream first" Suraj was cut off by an excited Bitto. She and her Ice-cream obsession!

"Umm Sir!!!"

"It's okay. I know she won't be off your back without getting her Ice-cream, so just get it for her and come over" I told him

They came after a while but I didn't get a chance to ask her the cause behind their bickering as a meeting came up. Else is history.

***

Preeti

I didn't see him thereafter. Winter vacations came and went. Neither had he come to pick her up nor to drop. She said he had work on both the days and thus his friends did so for him. However, Kiran continued to tell me about him and all, but I was dying to see him myself. I had fallen for him hard and not being able to even see him was making me anxious. I just have to see him.

***