Chapter 3

Prem

It's been two months that Bitto started her college. It's so lonely without her. But it had to be done. Other than that, I have another concern and that is her.

'Why it happens to me all the time! Today again, I missed the chance to see her. What's the use of knowing her address if I can't learn her name! I can't even see her daily and...'

My trance breaks with my phone's ring and I see that the caller ID is of the University,

"Hello!" I received the call

"Son; Stacy here" I heard Mother's voice

"Oh Mother Stacy! Good Morning Ma'am. Is everything okay? You called this early..." I was still surprised with her call when I suddenly realised "Mother is Bitto alright? I mean my sis. Is she okay? Did something happen..." Mother cut me off

"Son relax, everything is perfectly fine and Kiran is as good as always" I released a breath I didn't knew I was holding

"I'm sorry Mother, I overreacted. It's just that I love Bitto too much to even think of any harm to her" I explained "But Mother you called this early, is anything wrong?" I asked again

"Nothing is wrong Son; I just need you to come to the University once. Actually, I can't let Kiran out as it's a weekday and she's feeling really homesick from a couple of days." My eyes became moist on hearing this

"I understand Mother, I'm also the same. Ever since our parents passed away, she's never been away from me. I wouldn't have ever sent her away if I really didn't have to sell off the house. The area is being taken over by the Govt. for some purpose I didn't care to check. Also since I'm already building a house and it's almost completed on first level, I thought it'll be fine if she stays in the hostel and learn to become independent before I'll provide her with the safety of a new house." I tell Mother and after informing her about the timings of my arrival and that, she should keep it from Bitto, as I want to surprise her, I return to my work.

However, before I can actually do that, my best friend burst into my cabin and he is very angry! It is a concern, as he is always cool and carefree.

"Hey Anand, What's wrong?" I ask him

"How dare you to send her away to live in a damn hostel?" he says as he bangs on my desk.

Yes, he is talking about Bitto. He loves her as much as I do. I didn't tell him about Bitto living in a hostel, as I knew he wouldn't like it. See I was right! :)

"Oh, so you came to know." I try to be as casual as possible to calm him down, but I don't see it working. OOPS!!

"Prem!" He sound very demanding and I sigh thinking I'll have to give in.

"Okay Fine!" I say giving in "Have a seat, I'll explain"

I explained him how the Govt. officials came one day about a couple of months ago to inform about the area going under Compulsory Land Acquisition and how I thought this may provide some exposure to her till the new house is ready. I told him that I'm due in a couple of days to vacate the house and thus almost done with packing.

"You could have sent Bitto to live with me," he said complaining.

"I know Anand; it's just that I want her to be a bit independent. She's grown up now." I told him.

"Okaayyyy". He stretched it to tell me he's not properly satisfied, but yet not going to argue.

"Okay now tell me, where are you going to stay until the house is ready?" he asked after a while.

"Why! Your house is only open for your sister; your brother can't stay there?" I asked jokingly, also giving him the answer

"Of course not yarr... It's your own house. You are always welcome." I smile at him

"Well thank you, but you know first we have to move the stuff somewhere?" I ask him, but more like state to him

"So what's the issue? We'll shift it to the 'Banquet Hall'. You know I've got a large office place, which in fact is your own property." He stated like always making me annoyed. I know the property belongs to me but just because he didn't want me to invest in his business. That's why he agreed to take the property only on lease. But that property practically belongs to him only; after all, I just bought and constructed it for him according to his choice for his business only. And he also proved it all worthy by becoming one of the best 'Event Planner' of the city.

"Hello! Earth to Mr." He waved a hand in front of my face breaking my trance "Where are you lost?"

"Huh! Nothing. Okay then, I'll arrange for the shifting of stuff tomorrow as I have a few hours in the afternoon free. Else you see it yourself, how and where to put them at your place." I continued before he can argue with me over calling it his place "Okay now since you are here and appear to be free, please complete this file for me. Please! I'll send Suraj to help you with anything you can't get. I need to visit Bitto." I said the last part hurriedly knowing well that he won't refuse anything when it comes to her.

I asked Suraj, my best employee to help Anand and left for the University.

***

I arrived at the University earlier than planned since I got Anand and Suraj to finish rest of the work.

I didn't want to disturb Mother earlier than expected, so I went to see Cheenu.

It'll be a good surprise for him. I didn't get to talk to him the day I last came. He was so happy to see me again and I couldn't even stay for a talk. But I guess I'll do that today.

I guess my guess was wrong! The sight in front of me won't let me utter a single word.

It's her. I'm seeing her almost after a week!

My eyes flickered for a short moment and I saw...

"BITTO!" and she looked at me.

Her eyes were blank for a second like she didn't even see me, but just after a moment they went wide and before I can analyse what's happening, she was in my arms, hugging me while sobbing continuously.

It took me a few seconds to realise how much I missed my li'l sis. Having her in my arms, knowing she loves me and moreover, being sure of her safety and well-being being around her; it's like this is all I need to live.

Well I've lived for this only till date.

Conscience is always right. However, I can't see tears in the eyes of my Bitto!

"Shhh... I'm sorry Bitto, I'm really very sorry. But why are crying now baby; look Bhaiya is here, and I'm not going anywhere if you don't want me to. Okay! Bitto!" I continued to soothe her.

Why is it too hard to calm a sobbing girl, especially my li'l sis?

Her sobbing calmed after a long while and she finally looked at me. Swollen eyes; tear strained face and sadness was what I saw and it broke my heart to see her like this. I hugged her tight and my own eyes became moist.

After a while when we broke our hug, it felt like I've to let go my heart; but I've got to because she was there asking for it.

***