Chapter 36

Preeti

Since Ms. Chaudhary was leaving tomorrow, I decided to spend the night in her room to talk to her. Bitto agreed to stay with Ammu for the night to give me the opportunity and since it was our last night in the Banquet Hall, everyone else was busy packing. This was our last night together. I don't know when I'll get the chance to have my whole family together again. Anyways, this is my last chance to have this conversation with Ms. Chaudhary, since by the time she'll be back, it'll be too late for abortion in case she decides to go for it and as much as I don't want this to happen, I can't take away this choice from her. It's not our decision to make.

***

"Ma'am! May I come in?" I asked as I opened the door to Ms. Chaudhary's room after a knock.

"Come on in Preeti!" she said. "You can stop being so formal now. We are way past this formality with all that you've done for me," she added.

I entered and pulled a chair to sit as she had her stuff scattered on her bed as she packed what little she had salvaged from her house after it was cleared for entry as that maniac of ex-husband of hers has damaged almost everything she had while trying to look for money.

"Please ma'am; you know I'd do it for you anytime. You are no stranger to me. In fact, you are like family, an elder sis to me," I said with a smile to her.

She suddenly stopped folding her clothes and looked at me intently. I was getting uncomfortable with the way she was staring at me. When I couldn't take it anymore, I decided to break the silence.

"Why are you looking at me like this ma'am?" I asked her consciously.

"You call me family, a sister at that, yet you act so formal with me," she said complaining. "What is all this 'Ma'am' and 'Ms. Chaudhary' huh! We are not at college and I don't think I'll ever be going back now. Therefore, I'm no longer your teacher. Then, why can't you stop being so formal?" she said with so much emotions that I really felt it to my heart.

I hugged her and said, "Sorry ma'am."

"Again ma'am," she complained to which I asked her what she wants me to call her. "Why not call me what you think of me as?"

"Okay then, I'll call you Jiji," I told her.

"Jiji! Why that and not something common like Dee or Didi?" she asked.

"Well, I always liked this term. It sounds so unique and cute; just like you," I told her and finally after so long I saw a hint of smile on her face.

I am glad that her mood is improving. I may be able to have our talk without much complication. I decided to help her with her packing before taking up our conversation.

***

After we were done with everything and tucked in bed, I decided to take up the much-awaited conversation.

"Jiji, there's something I've been meaning to discuss with you, but couldn't understand how and where to start," I started. "Jiji, you know you're physically fine now right, yet there are some medicines that are prescribed by the doctor right... Actually, um actually those medicines, I mean... I ... umm..." I couldn't understand how to continue.

"Don't you think it's a little late to tell me about this now" she spoke startling me as I was still contemplating on how to continue.

"What do you mean?" I asked her confused.

"I know I'm pregnant Preeti," she told me shocking me.

"What! How, I mean when did you..." I didn't know how to react to this knowledge.

She sighed deeply before speaking.

"How did you even think that I wouldn't realise is beyond me. I mean come on Preeti, I'm a woman and it's been nearly two months now that I have gained consciousness. Of course I know," she said. "When I started to feel better after coming out of the whole trauma, which was only thanks to you," she added, "I started to notice changes in my body as well. Later when I didn't get my periods after a whole one month, I knew what could possible the reason for the same. Then I noticed the meds I was prescribed and since I already had my phone back, I checked them online and confirmed my suspicions," she told me and I realised how stupid I was to think that she was still unawares.

"I'm sorry Jiji, I tried to tell you many times but seeing your condition, I hesitated," I explained.

"I know you did Preeti. I knew every time you tried to talk about it, that was one of the main reasons I got emotional every time and you thought I was not ready for 'the talk'," she explained to me.

"Then why didn't you say something. I can understand you didn't want to talk to me but why didn't you say something to the doctor!" I asked confused before a sudden realisation came to me. "Does that mean you are keeping the child?" I asked to confirm.

"Of course I'm keeping the child Preeti, there's no question about it," she exclaimed outraged that I even thought otherwise. I can understand where she was coming from.

"I understand that Jiji, but in my line of work, I've come across many who doesn't think like you," I explained; "Some women just can't digest the thought of having a memoir of their awful experience."

"But I'm glad to know you are keeping the baby," I told her.

"I don't know what those women feel Preeti, but I can't ever think of hurting my baby. That man has nothing to do with my baby, his blood will never be stronger than my upbringing I'm sure of this." I was happy to hear this from her. I finally heaved a sigh of relief.

"You know Jiji, I was so worried that you wouldn't want the baby that I was thinking of asking Kiran's brother if he would mind adopting him or her as ours. You know I had this whole plan in my mind to convince you to at least give birth." I told her not realising what all I was spewing.

"Wait! Wait a moment right there," Jiji exclaimed suddenly, "what were you saying about Kiran's brother and you adopting a baby together?" she asked shocked; however, there was an excitement and mischief in her eyes which made me go red instantly realising my blunder.

I bit my tongue and turned my back on her to hide myself from her interrogation, however, I should have known it wasn't possible. Jiji pulled my shoulder and made me face her. She was looking like a child in a fair; and as much as I was shy to talk about us, the shine in her eyes that I was seeing after so long was encouraging me to tell her everything if it meant making her happy again.

***

It was time for everyone to go back to their lives. We were all gathered at the door of Banquet Hall waiting for Devarji and their brother to bring the cars, so we can all go back home. However, I was not feeling the joy of returning home like the rest, as I for one was not going home but away from it. These last few days made me realise that my house was no longer my home, but he is. Last night I even acknowledge this feeling finally before Jiji.

Last night, after Jiji made me tell her everything in detail, to which I didn't really resist seeing as with every word her sadness was dissipating from her eyes and the shine of happiness, was returning. It really made me feel blessed, as she was ready to forget all her pain in my happiness; not every day we see someone like this. However, she left early morning to go for her father's last rites and now I won't be having her blessing for a few days. I just hope she returns before the summer vacations hit as I'll really need someone mature from my side when we tell Maa-Papa about me and him.

The cars came and we loaded our stuff into them. It was hard, as I couldn't even say a proper goodbye to him or Devarji as that would have raised questions from my Maa-Papa. Anyways, time came and we had to leave. Therefore, we all went our own ways for now.

***