Chapter 44

Riley's POV

I glare at Avery, as she presses the knife closer to Luke's throat. Her perfectly manicured nails are a blaring shade of carmine, piercing Luke's skin. A white tie accompanies a turquoise cardigan, and a sunflower yellow pencil skirt, with matching white high heels. Her blond hair is brushed back into elegant curls that are held back by a white headband, and she looks like a woman who has her life together. 

I know for a fact, that she doesn't. 

"You pathetic b-" 

"Auntie Riley, please don't swear when Luke's about to die!"

"I'm about to DIE!!!!!!!!!" 

"Hope!" 

"Shut up!" Avery growls, the mascara stains running down her cheeks as she presses the knife tighter. Luke's small brown eyes widened in fright, but strangely, he didn't scream. 

"Where's that other little brat," Avery murmurs. 

I look at her, pressed against the wall of the cave as my eyes meet with her green eyes. 

"You should know before I kill you that-" 

But before she can talk, she gasps, and instantly releases Luke. The knife falls to the ground, and Luke turns around. His head leans slightly to the side, and he raises his finger to his lips, and turns to smile at his clever sister, with her small hands clutching the strings of a red purse wrapped around Avery Jennings' throat. 

Hope giggles malevolently, and Luke grabs some scissors from his back pocket. 

"Children," I say calmly. "Please try not to kill Miss. Jennings. Your mother's too irresponsible to handle a lawsuit."