Chapter 23

Riley's POV
18th July 2026
Friday

"Riley?" he breathes into my ear, and instantly, my body freezes, as still as a statue with my face buried into the pillow. His fingers gently brush against the soft skin of neck, and I feel shivers pass down my body.

"I'm sorry baby," he whispers, pressing his lips to the soft spot of my neck. I open my red eyes slightly, and I see a waterfall of gold pouring in through the window as the sun rises to welcome a new day. Lucas crawls over to my side of the bed, and I can see agony in his eyes. Not regret, agony.

"I didn't mean to hurt you," he murmurs, as he drags me up into a sitting position on his lap. I wrap my sore legs around his waist, and sob into his shoulder.

I love Lucas, how could he do this? He loves me, oh god, what happened last night? my mind utters mindlessly.

"You were drunk Lucas, but even so, I can't believe you'd do this. I haven't done anything without you since our wedding! I have absolutely no social life, unless I go out with you and Farkle. I've dedicated myself to you for the past month, day and night, and all you do is make me feel like sh*t!" I sob, howling like a banshee. Lucas remains emotionless, with his face buried in my neck. I want to push myself off of his lap, to look at him in the eye, and see where Lucas really is, but I can't let go of the warmth radiating from him. His hands clutch me tight, as if he's hanging off a cliff and he needs to hold on for dear life. His bare chest is pressed against my singlet, and I can hear the soft rhythm of his shallow breathing.

Without warning, his hands grab my waist, and he lifts his face to look straight into my eyes. He presses his lips roughly to mine, and I grip his hair desperately. There's nothing sweet or romantic about this kiss, only pure destruction flows between our veins. I feel harsh moans pass between our lips, and foreboding travel through my body.

I push Lucas away, and his face contorts into a snarl more frightening than my dad the time he found Lucas in my bedroom lying next to me. Without any clothes on.

His razor sharp nails pierce my skin, and I bite my lip in a feeble attempt to appear strong. He licks his bloodstained fingers, and I can't help rolling my eyes at his asininity.

"God Lucas, what a great way to display how over-licentious you are," I complain sarcastically, ignoring the aching pain in my sides as blood continues to trickle out of the gashes Lucas left. As a reward for my sarcasm, Lucas shoves me violently, and I land with a thump on the hard wooden floor.

Lucas slips on his fuliginous shoes and growls, "You love me, and you are mine. I can do what I want, drunk or not."

I slowly lift my torso, ignoring the sound of the glass cage inside of me shattering, a heart damaged in such a short space of time. "I love Lucas. You're not Lucas. I don't know what you've done to him, but I need my Lucas back," I expostulate. My voice is as quiet as a mouse, and yet Lucas falls silent to the unspoken power that I yield.

He storms out of the apartment, and I clamber into the ruby stained bed, weeping silent rivers.

He didn't say that he loved me back.

----------------------------------
Charlie's POV

An ancient, dust-covered vinyl spins in the corner of the burning room, and a beautiful voice rings out from the record player. I barely notice the tongues of fire, licking at my skin, devouring me in unimaginable heat.

Scratch in your voice,
Leave me no choice,
No,
Won't give up, can't give up

Hold on.