Chapter 22

Riley's POV
17th July 2026
Thursday

"Hey Peaches!!" I smile, as I stuff chocolate into my mouth while lounging in my bedroom, staring longingly at the 5sos posters.

"Hey Riles," Maya sighs into the phone. She sounds lethargic, as if all of the 'Maya' has been drained out of her. Charlie's been in treatment 24/7, and the kids are getting rowdier each day.

"Look, I'm really sorry Riley, but if I want to be able to pay Charlie's medical bills, I really need to work these extra shifts at the art gallery."

"Maya, is something wrong?" Silence deafens the space between us, and foreboding rises inside of me.

"Riles," she starts. "There are some things that I have to deal with myself."

And with that, Maya hangs up. I rest my head in my hands.

A crash from the living room makes me jump out of my skin, as I greet an awful-smelling Lucas on the floor.

"Rrrileyyyy," he slurs, his bloodshot eyes glaring at me lustfully, as I direct him towards the bathroom in a disorderly manner. He never usually drinks, but ever since the news about Charlie, Lucas has been acting really peculiar.
His breath reaches my nostrils, and I almost vomit. He smells like a weed dealer, and his jeans are drenched in beer and other liquids that probably shouldn't be mentioned.

"Baaaaaaaabyyyyyyy," he giggles drunkenly. "I love you."

"I love you too," I reply, rolling my eyes at my drunk husband as he rips his leather jacket and Black Sabbath t-shirt off. I crawls onto the bed, and I suddenly feel his strong hands, clenched around my shoulder blades possessively. My skin tingles, and I feel a lump rise in my throat, as he dips his head, and my brown eyes meet a violent sea of blue. He crashes his lips into mine, and I melt into a blanket of passion.

Things quickly get heated, and I stop him.

"You're drunk Lucas," I susurrate, leaving a feeling of longing on his pink lips.

That feeling instantly vanishes, and I find myself in a world of pain and betrayal, lying on the floor.

I glare at my husband furiously, only to be met with another harsh slap to the face. I open my mouth to tell him to stop, but he instead smashes his lips against mine, clawing his nails through my skin. I cry out desperately, and my face meets Lucas' bloodied fist.

"And you're mine," he growls.