Chapter 28

One month later...

Charlie's POV
20th August 2026
Thursday

Do you know that feeling when you're on a rollercoaster or a ride, and at first it's okay, and then an unsettling feeling appears in your throat?

At first, it feels like a terrific decision. You've reached the climax; you're on top of the world. All you can here is the sound of laughter ringing through your ears, and delighted screams piercing the night. The tracks groan underneath the weight of the cart, and a flurry of lights dance through the air. Exhilaration; enjoyment. Freedom. You forget everything, and just live in the moment.

And the that feeling strikes.

It's almost out of nowhere. You don't expect it at all, it just happens. It drains any happiness out of you, and makes you want to jump off the rollercoaster ride.

But what if you can't?

What if you can't get off this rollercoaster?

What if you're imprisoned in hospital, tied to a machine 24 hours a day?

What if the treatment you receive makes you want to die?

What if the one you love the most hasn't seen you for a month?

What if your children are memories from a past that seems so distant, yet so close?

What if, you have no idea of what is happening?

---------------------------
Riley's POV

"Maya Penelope Hart, you need to fucking eat," I stated angrily, glaring at the girl sitting in front of me, eyes glued to her phone. Her long golden hair hung around her face, as limp as a dead cat. Her lips were parched and chapped, and dark bags shadowed her eyes. All colour and life appeared to have been drained out of Maya, as she reclined on her couch. Throughout the whole time I'd stayed at Maya and Charlie's apartment, she hadn't eaten a thing. The occasional doughnut, grape and potato once a week, but that was it. While I contacted my clients over phone, she'd herd the kids off to school in baggy shirts that covered her bony frame. Every night, I'd prepare a meal for Maya, only to wake up to rotting food. She only offered me fake smiles, and always hide behind her phone.

"I've already-" Maya began, before her face paled and she stopped talking, as if something had stolen her voice. I looked at her, as she turned her back on me slowly, and whispered 'oh god,' over and over again into her palms.

"Maya. What happened?" I interrogated, as Maya bent over, hissing curses at everything and everyone.

"I don't have to tell you everything Riley!" she yelled, crashing her feet into the ground with the force of an earthquake, and heading towards her empty bedroom. I grabbed her arm, and she whipped her head around to glower at me.

"Don't. Make me," she breathed, danger carefully icing her tone.

"I want to help you. Maya, you're my best-"

"I HAD ANOREXIA," she screeched, before slamming her bedroom door against my face.

My poor nose.

I pressed my ear gingerly against the door, as the door was attacked by Maya's fearsome punches. I listened as she slowly slid down to the ground, and slumped against the doorframe, sobbing. I could already feel the drops slipping from their barriers, as I tried not to cry.

"When?" I rasped.

"W-When you had demons and depression."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't matter. I healed. You needed me more than I needed you."

"That's not true Maya."

That's not true

--------------------------------------
No One's POV

Miles (or kilometres) away, a black vehicle slammed it's engine into a deep lake.

All that could be heard was a loud splash.

And the screams