Chapter 26

Riley's POV

19th July 2026

Saturday

"Riley? Have you come to your senses yet?"

My heart almost shatters as I hear his passionless voice ring through my mobile. He hasn't asked how I am, he hasn't asked me what I'm doing, he hasn't even asked if I'm coming home. I hear his phone blare, and Maya gasps, curled up next to me on the stain-covered couch.

"Your twin brother just f**king died Lucas, and you're asking me, if I've come to my senses?!"

"He was an a$$hole anyway, it's not as if we cared about each other. Now, have you stopped acting like a child?!"

"The Lucas I know, the Lucas I love, would do anything to get back with his brother! What the f**k has happened to you Lucas?"

"What has happened to you? You should be here, cooking my meals, doing the laundry and-"

"I AM NOT YOUR F**KING SLAVE," I holler. My face becomes as red as a tomato, and it feels like my skin is burning at 1000 degrees celsius. My teeth grit, and I want to rip my hair out from the roots. "YOU ARE CONTEMPTIBLE, VILE, AND HORRID! I am not just here to do your chores and be your slut!"

"God Riley, stop being such a bloody feminist!"

"I won't come home until Lucas does!" I screech, before slamming the phone on the couch and burying my face into Maya's bony shoulder. Her pale hands clutch me tightly, as heaving sobs wrack through my body.

I cry myself to sleep, oblivious of the text sent to me after.

From Zayday:

Help!!! It's Lucas!

Zay's POV

19th July 2026

Saturday

Okay, everything is just really confusing at the moment. It's more mixed up than the smoothies that Mrs. Matthews makes at Thanksgiving.

I bang my bloodied fists against the hard stone walls. My azure flannel is ripped, and hangs loosely from my shoulders. The gigantic steel door is bolted, and claustrophobia is sinking into my bones. The walls are streaked with peculiar maroon flares, and graffiti lines the walls. Brent is still unconscious.

Five hours ago, we were having some Netflix & Chill time in our apartment. We were sitting on our navy couch, with pillows soft like duck down, and blankets strewn across the polished floors. All of a sudden, the door flew open, and three hooded men burst into the room, expertly skimming through the drawers for money. We quickly fled the scene, but me being me, I walked into a wall. The three men grabbed our shirts, and smashed our heads against the walls.

And then I saw him.

And that's why we're here.

Underground.

Captured.

The door creaks, and another man marches into the room. His black hoodie completely covers his face, and I can smell the lingering smoke. He snatches my unconscious boyfriend, and drags his body out of the room.

"Hey!" I protest, jumping onto his back. The man elbows my nose, and warmth trickles down my chin. He looks at me for one instant, and I can see guilt wallowing in his light brown eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm being blackmailed. You have it better off," he mutters, before pilfering my phone.

I hope Riley got my text, I think worriedly, as the door slams in my face. She can't trust him.