Chapter 39

Unknown Number: Riley, it's Farkle.

Riley: Why should I believe you?

Unknown Number: I used to wear turtle necks as a kid.

Riley: Where are you smarty?

Unknown Number: Lucas is in Los Angeles.

Unknown Number: Take the kids to the Old Zoo in the park, and keep your phone on you at all times. Don't leave until I call and you hear my voice say 'Dimmers Fry Irony.'

Riley: Farkle, what's happening?

Farkle: GO!!

I feel the blade press close against my throat, as I type the last few words of the text.

Dimmers fry irony

I'm sorry my friend

---------------------------------------

Riley's POV

(literally too lazy to remember the date) 

Sunday????? 

Luke jumps into his penguin onesie, and Hope grabs her magic wands as we race out of the building , and jump into a cab which somehow lets us drive to the park at such a late time of night. Luke instantly begins blaring 5SOS music while Hope endlessly recites magic spells, her eyes rolling back far into her head as the incantations become more complex. 

I lean my head against the window, and wonder where Maya is. 

Something is majorly wrong with Maya. 

She left her children  to run to god knows where. 

She always has a-who am I kidding, she's Maya Hart, she's a spontaneous freak show of peaches and alcohol, who never decides on anything. 

I wish Maya was here. 

I wish Lucas was here too. 

Not now Lucas.

Then Lucas.

The Lucas who called me princess, and would make me smile whenever I saw him.

The Lucas who hid behind corners just to scare me with gifts such as cookies and teddy bears. 

The Lucas who spent hours dancing with me, even if he hated the songs. 

The Lucas whose lips would brush against mine as soft as a rose petal, and hold my face in his hands no matter what we were doing. 

I missed that Lucas. 

The taxi driver stopped, and I pushed the kids out of the car and we ran across the sprawling emerald green fields towards the Old Zoo. The night was dark and full of terrors, and Luke tripped over his oversized yellow flippers. Hope pointed her wands fiercely at every shadow that dared to come near her.

We reached the zoo, and I fingered the phone in my pocket. 

Suddenly, I screamed. 

A hand clamped its way over my mouth, and shoved me down to the ground. A silver knife flashed in front of my face, and I could hear the sound of fabric ripping as the knife tore through our clothes. 

"Dimmers fry iron," Avery Jennings hissed, her blonde hair resplendent in the moonlight. "Hello Riley. It's been awhile." 

-------------------------------

Charlie's POV

My body is cold but my heart's on fire. 

-------------------------------