twenty-four

Today was a sad day for me and the boys.. most likely me. It was my last game in Chicago, the trip had to be cut short since softball was starting conditioning a week early and I couldn't afford to miss it. "Hey Joe I brought my sweaters and shirts.. I didn't know if I'm supposed to turn them in or not," I say as I walk into his office.

"Well I mean.. You should but consider them yours. Just a gift for treating us so good," he says as he puts his arm around my shoulder. We walk down the hallway to the clubhouse where the boys were getting ready to head out to the field.

"Do want of you guys need anything, speak now or forever hold you peace.. I'll be back home in a few hours." I say laughing as I walk toward the boys.

"Actually you won't be home exactly," Kris says with a smirk. I look at all of them and they all had suspicious looks on their face.

"What did you guys do?" I say as they bump Anthony so he would speak up.

"Well when we were in LA pretty boy was talking to the manager to find out the schedule for Corey's team.. he has a home stand this weekend. We figured since you're leaving on a Friday and the game should be over by 3 or 4 you could stay with him til Sunday night." He says with a smile.

"You guys are kidding right?" I say in awe.

"Of course not, we really appreciate you. Who would've known how close 2 and a half weeks would bring us," Addi says and I feel the tears stinging my eyes at how great they were.

"You guys are too damn sweet, ima miss you guys," I say as I smile at them. Kris wiped my tears and hugged me and the rest of the boys joined in.

"We're gunna miss you, Dre. Promise you'll visit sometime." Javy says as they pull apart.

"As long as you guys go out there and kick the Rockie's ass!" I says hyping them up before we walk to the dugout. When we got out there we had Grandpa Ross take pictures in the dug out and on the field. We took a couple selfies before I made them do their sprints and stretches for the game.

Today Hendricks was on the mound and the stadium was filled, which was surprising because it was a Friday afternoon.. I guess it's okay to miss work for baseball. It was a really nice day out and the boys were playing great. Kris hit a homer and said that it's a 'going away' gift.

The game turned into a nail bitter when Nolan Arenado launched a 3 run homer into the basket in right field. It was tied at 4 in the bottom of the 8th with the bottom of our line up. Unfortunately they went down 1-2-3 and the boys went out to try and hold them and take it in the 9th.

We were down to 2 outs as Matt got out in the pinch and Ben got out in the leadoff spot. Kris was up and he sent a flair single into right, giving some hope. Riz went up and on the first pitch Kris takes off to 2nd base, the catcher took too long on the transfer so he didn't bother to throw. Rizzo had worked the count full which meant Kris was taking off on the pitch.

As soon as the pitcher let go of the ball Kris took off and Rizzo sent the ball into the gap in right field. Kris busted his ass home and some how Carlos Gonzalez managed to make a close play at home but Kris was safe. All the boys ran out of the dug out to second base to hug Anthony after the walk off.

I walk out and lean against the barrier on the dug out and watch as the boys celebrate. They all pile back into the dugout as Anthony gets interviewed with the crowd singing "Go Cubs Go" in the background. "Nice job KB!" I say as he walks to me.

"Told you we'd give you a game to remember," he says smiling as he hugs me. He pulls me into the dugout and grabs the Gatorade buckets and smirks. I grab the other one with the help of Addi and we walk over to Rizzo. We pour it on him and Addi and Kris run but I throw him a towel before running. But before I could get to far Anthony picked me up in all his wet clothes and put me with him for his interview.