eighteen

Today was the last day our parents would be in town, and also the day Corey was signing with the Dodgers officially, contract and all. His parents agreed to let him stay with me for the remainder of whatever break he gets before reporting to the minors. I rub my eyes, jumping out of bed realising it was already 9:30 and we were supposed to get his parents at 11. I go to the restroom to start brushing my teeth and remember I need to wake up the sleeping giant who was still in my bed. "Hey babe, you gotta get up now" I say lightly shoving him. He mumbles something and turns away from me. "Corey Drew, get up now." I say in covering him, I honestly felt like the mother of an 8 year old at this point.

"Why do we have to get up so early, Dre?" He says running his hand through his hair. I shake my head and walk to the restroom.

"Why do you have to be so lazy?" I say laughing. He scoffs at me and gets up to brush his teeth. "We told your parents we'll pick them up at 11, we gotta leave here before then so you have an hour to get ready."

I didn't know what to wear so as he was getting dressed in the restroom I had been going through my unpacked boxes looking at my dresses. "Need some help?" Corey says fixing the belt to his pants.

"You look good, babe. And yes which one should I wear? The black one?" I say holding one dress up to my body "or the blue one?" He stands there for a minute examining the two dresses, then starts but stops before he says anything.

"Wear the black one, it looks good on you and it's simple, were not doing anything too fancy, just signing some papers." He says grabbing the other dress from me and putting it away in the closet.

I shake my head and walk out of the restroom changed, "it's more than just 'signing papers'" I say adding air quotes, "you're signing your minor league contract, do you know how huge this is babe!" He turns and smiles at me, that smile, I've alway...

I shake my head and walk out of the restroom changed, "it's more than just 'signing papers'" I say adding air quotes, "you're signing your minor league contract, do you know how huge this is babe!" He turns and smiles at me, that smile, I've always loved that smile. "Wanna pick out my shoes too?" I say getting on my tippy-toes to press my lips to his. I feel him smile into the kiss as he places his had on my lower back.

"I'd love to Andrea Marie, anything for you beautiful" I go and began my makeup quickly putting it on as fast as I could before we were late. I hear him searching through the boxes of shoes as I finish up with some mascara. "Here baby, I think these will go nice. Oh and I got you this cardigan with it" he says studying the two items before handing them to me.

"I should let you pick my outfits out more often, you're pretty good at this" I say throwing the cardigan on over my dress.
He laughs and I go to put on my heels on the bed. "We should get going, we don't wanna be late."

He nods and grabs the keys from my night stand, "Can I drive, since you're wearing heels on and all?" I nod and laugh now knowing the reason behind him picking these heels.

It was only about a 20 minute ride to the hotel and another half an hour to Dodger Stadium. Half of me was excited and half of me was nervous. I was super excited because dreaming of going to UCLA and living in LA made me love their sports teams. Dodgers were my favorite of all the teams, I think it would be different if North Carolina had a baseball team but now I had an even better reason to love this team.

We drove up to the player lot and seen the other players getting out to practice since they had a game in a few hours. We walked up toward the Dodgers office and the 2 men that had contacted Jeff were outside waiting for Corey and his parents. "Ah yes, the Seager, how are you son?" one says reaching for Corey's hand, "I'm Logan White, nice to meet you. This is Scott Boras, come in, come in." He held the door open and we walked in. I looked over at Corey as we walked down the hallway. He seemed very nervous but excited.

"Hey, you'll be fine," I whispered to him, he broke his stare down the long hallway and smiled at me. He nods, kissing my cheek and intertwining our fingers together.

Once we finally had gotten into the office the meeting took about an hour, Jeff and the manager Logan couldn't seem to see eye to eye but finally came to agreement. Me and Corey on the other hand just sat there, he had his hand on mine rubbing his thumb across my fingers nervously.

"So, you'll get your pay, the bonus for not going to school, and you'll start with our Triple A team on July 6th. We'll fly you out on the 5th and get you all settled in." Logan says shaking Corey's hand, then Jeff's, and then Jody's. They had asked Corey if they could take some pictures of him and he agreed as they also took him into the dugout for an interview and I sat in the stands next to the dugout. I was in awe watching the players do their warm ups, soon I was going to be able to sit here and watch the boy I loved play on this field.

After about 20 minutes they were done and they allowed us to leave and we drove to the hotel so that Jody and Jeff could get their stuff ready for their flight tomorrow morning. Corey and I decided to go home and get into some comfortable close and order pizza for a lazy day. "Hey babe, I was thinking and I don't think you should stay here the last week before you go, it's not fair to your parents" I say hesitating.

"Why do you say that," you can tell in his voice my words had hurt him but it was for his own good. I finished putting on my sweat pants and walk out to talk to him.

"Well you leave to Utah in a week and I know you'll wanna be with your family and you also have to pack, you don't have to stay here all week." I say calmly. He looks at me and then down at his feet as he begins to speak.

"I guess you're right, I just wanted to spend time with you, I'll fly back to NC on Monday, but tomorrow I'm taking you to the beach. I promised we'd do it before I left" he says slightly smiling. We had our lazy day and it was calming and nice to spend our last days together. Our parents left the next morning and we went to the beach with Bella and Jesse. We took cute pictures, attempted to surf, emphasise the 'attempted' part, and just enjoyed the weather.

 We took cute pictures, attempted to surf, emphasise the 'attempted' part, and just enjoyed the weather

The next morning I had to drive him to the airport, and I was dreading this moment. I was losing a piece of me as he went to another state another state, apart from one another. I get out of the car while he grabbed his bags from the trunk. "You ready stud?" I say lightly laughing.

"This is what we worked for beautiful, we'll be together soon, go kick ass out on that field. Blood, sweat and tears babygirl." He says pulling me into a hug, I felt like we were there for hours and I never wanted it to end.

"You better work hard out there, I want you back in LA soon," I say with a tear rolling down my cheek, "I love you Seager."

"Don't cry beautiful, I'll be back soon I promise, I'll always try to visit. I love you too." He leans down to kiss me, it was a simple gesture but it ment the world. The sparks fly everytime I'm with him, I didn't know how I'd last without him. I didn't want to let him go but I know I had to. Once we pulled apart he grabbed his bags and walked through those doors. He turned back and smiled at me with a light wave. I returned the wave and wipe a tear from my eye and just like that he was gone. But I knew it was what we had to do to live the dream. All of this, all our sacrifices, all our time apart.. it would pay off in the end because it was All for the Game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's an update, and I'll have another up soon. I'm going to do a time jump into 2015 because I had an idea but the years between then are going to take too long to figure out and I've been having major writers block. So in the next chapter we'll be in 2015. Sorry it has take so long to get this up.

Much love xx 💙