Chapter Twenty-Nine

Monroe and Rosalee left, and Trubel decided to get some sleep.

She sprawled out on the bed and pulled the blanket from the foot of the bed up around her.

It wasn't long before she drifted off to sleep, despite the horrible and chaotic thoughts running through her head. It had been a very long day.

However, even in her sleep, Trubel could not escape from her reality.

Her first nightmare was a memory.

Trubel was coughing up blood on the floor of the white room after a Siegbarste delivered a solid kick to her chest.

Bonaparte was standing in the corner of the room like he always did when his friends and Trubel had a little get together.

A Mauvais Dentes picked up the Grimm by gouging his claws into her sides and pulling her up to her feet. A Matanca Zumbido was standing in front of her and had an excited look on his face. He held out his hand, and it sparked brightly in front of her. Trubel was hardly conscious enough to notice. The Matanca Zumbido was about to reach out and grab her wrist.

"Wait," Bonaparte spoke up.

The electric eel paused. 

"I'm sorry, my friend, but if I could just cut in here..." Bonaparte requested as he moved across the room to stand in front of Trubel.

"Theresa?" he asked.

She didn't look at him. She was gasping for air while the Mauvais Dentes held her around her waist to keep her from falling. He also held her waist to compress her sides and worsen the pain of her broken ribs the Siegbarste had given her.

"Let her down," Bonaparte said soothingly. "Gently."

The Mauvais Dentes let her go. She immediately slumped down to her knees. The Mauvais Dentes held her shoulders to keep her from completely collapsing on the ground.

Bonaparte watched with an amused expression. "I figured this would be the ideal moment to clarify a few expectations," he said.

The Mauvais Dentes wrapped one arm around Trubel's shoulders and used the other to grab a handful of her hair and pull it so she was looking up at Bonaparte.

Bonaparte smiled down at her. "No matter what it is that you want, and no matter what it is that you think you'll do, I promise you that you will work for me," he said, his expression growing more menacing. "You belong to me," he growled. "You are not a human being," he said. "You are my property."

Bonaparte lowered himself to get closer to her face. He grabbed her chin like he always did and stared into her eyes. "You are never going to be the person you used to be again. I'm going to make sure that you become the monster you really are by the time I'm finished." Bonaparte continued to watch the despairing, tortured Grimm with interest and intensity. "You are mine. I am not giving you any choice other than complete obedience. And I will have just that when I am finished with you."

Bonaparte stood up and said, "Or I'll drive you into insanity before I kill you. I might as well have some fun if my creation decides to be stubborn."

He grinned.

Trubel stared at him with fear and hatred for a long moment.

That was when the memory transformed into a nightmare.