Chapter Nine: Nick's Short Story

"Let's do this."

Nick, Hank, Monroe, and Wu went back into the tunnels and told Eve and Rosalee what had happened. It wasn't easy for any of them to deal with, but Rosalee and Eve were happy that Nick was alive.

"I want to find her," Nick said.

They used the way that Hank and Wu found to escape the tunnels. When they emerged, they made their way to Bud's repair shop and tried their best to be inconspicuous. Bud told them that it was good that they came, despite being scared to death what it meant for him. The police had already raided Nick's loft and put a warrant out for his arrest when they couldn't find his body. Renard demonized Nick and people believed him because he was the police captain and soon to be the new mayor of Portland. Nick was made out to be a murderer; he was a fugitive. The Portland Police were told to shoot to kill, but Black Claw members were told to bring him in if they could.

Shortly after Trubel was taken, Nick's behavior began to change and many suspected that the stick was the reason why. Nick stashed it back in the tunnels, but sometimes worried when he caught himself thinking about taking it back out. He didn't want to admit it, but it did have some kind of unknown power that could be dangerous for everyone. They needed to find out more...

Nick was in the Spice Shop with Eve, Rosalee, and Monroe analyzing the cloth that the stick had been wrapped in.

A phone buzzed. It was Trubel's phone.

Nick had found it on the floor of the loft right after Trubel was taken.

He answered it and put the phone on speaker.

"Who is this?" he asked.

"Who is this?" a man's voice countered.

"Nicholas Burkhardt. The Grimm."

"We have not been able to reach anyone at the Portland compound, and we need to talk to Trubel."

"They don't know?" Monroe whispered to Rosalee. Rosalee shrugged.

"They're all dead," Nick said abruptly. "HW has been wiped out in Portland. Black Claw hit the compound and killed Meisner."

"How?" the voice asked.

"Bonaparte had deeply rooted connections in Portland," Nick answered. "But, Black Claw is mostly wiped out here. Only Bonaparte, Sean Renard, and a few others are still alive. I think they are hiding out in their own compound, but I don't know where it is," Nick offered.

"Where's Trubel? I need to speak with her."

"Bonaparte has her. I need you to send agents down to help me get her back," Nick said.

"You don't know where she is?" the voice guessed.

"I know she's with Bonaparte," Nick replied.

"Then you don't know that she's still alive," the voice answered.

"She might still be alive, and finding her could help us find Bonaparte. He would probably want to see if he could use her which means we're running out of time. We need to find her now!" Nick explained.

"I'm sorry Burkhardt, but she is not a priority of ours. We cannot afford to send needed agents to Portland," the voice answered emotionlessly.

"After everything she's done for you, you're leaving her to die?!" Nick yelled.

"She is most likely already dead, so we cannot risk wasting our limited resources on a rescue mission."

Rosalee dumbfoundedly and broken-heartedly mouthed the word 'wasting'. "If the Portland compound is truly wiped out, then Hadrian's Wall needs to regroup more than anything else. Can you be ready to leave Portland in less than four hours?"