Chapter Ten: Together

Nick heard the knocking and turned around to see who it was. It was Bonaparte.

"Burkhardt, you are a difficult man to track down. How are you?" Bonaparte asked civilly.

"I've been better," he answered coldly.

"Really? I would have thought you would be excited to see your sweet, dear Theresa again."

"Where is she?" Nick demanded.

"Relax. She should be here any minute. We'll catch up later." Bonaparte started to walk out but turned around right before walking out the door. "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone," he said and disappeared.

"Hey, Vincent," Theresa greeted indifferently.

The past year and a half had been devoid of happiness for Theresa. She enjoyed beating people up, and she was best friends with Bonaparte now, not to mention that she could do whatever she wanted, but something was missing. She liked the power and was having fun, but happy was still not how she would describe herself. Most people would call her evil, psychotic, or, less extreme, a total grump. She would always glare at people, threaten others, and if anyone did anything to piss her off, they would pay for it - sometimes with their lives. Vincent was worried for her because she wasn't her anymore.

She had become all business and lived for Bonaparte to give her the order to kill someone.

"Blake said I was supposed to come down here. What is this all about?" she didn't speak with interest or emotion, she was just collecting facts.

Vincent looked at Theresa, the stranger, standing in front of him. "See for yourself." Vincent knocked on the door for her because he knew Theresa wouldn't do it.

"Okay, thank you." Renard hung up the phone. He turned to Adalind who was looking at him expectantly.

"Burkhardt found Theresa. He's in the compound with her now," he said.

This was the first time that Adalind heard anything about Nick or Trubel since Renard took her phone.

"No..." she said, heartbroken.

"It's time to let him go," Renard told her. He left to go to the compound.

Nick heard another knock. It was the same as the one before it, but the person waiting behind the door wasn't.

Theresa walked in and saw a man with his back towards her.

Nick turned around and saw the girl he had missed so much. She saw a man that was supposed to be dead a long time ago. She didn't think it was real.

She turned around and walked back outside.

"Wait!" Nick yelled, but she was already gone.

"What the hell is going on here?" Theresa asked Vincent angrily.

"We found Nick," Vincent said.

"No, you didn't," she said menacingly.

"Theresa, you saw him, he was right there in-" Vincent began.

"No, it's not," she said, shaking her head. She couldn't let herself believe it.

"Yes, it is," Vincent said.

"It can't be! Nick is dead!" she shouted in his face.

"I think you should talk to him," Vincent suggested.