Chapter 16 | One call away

_________

(Edited) 

_________

Emma POV

.

Tears rolling down my cheeks I silently hoped for Damien to call me out and stop me from leaving him behind. But why bother if that'll never happen. I figured he'll be angrier if he continues to see my face around here any longer. I couldn't help but be worried about him when I received that call from Michael.

I mean what the heck it's his problem. I was just concerned about him getting hurt or even worse, getting arrested for illegal street racing. I mean I get it, after all, he is a Bad boy.

I look up at Michael who's walking in front of me and just noticed how tall he actually is. His broad shoulders and nice back flexing as he tries to walk through the big crowded area. For a quick second, he looks back at me and gave me a faded smile as if he was worried I wasn't following behind him. I smiled back at him even if it was a forced one and speed up my pace to catch up with him.

"Wait," I say to Michael once we're just a few feet away from his car.

He turns back to look at me with a questioning look on his face. His blonde hair messy and sticking up.

"What happened?" He asks concerned behind his tone of voice.

The words debating whether to come out or not. I started playing with my fingers and looked down at the floor.

"What made you think I could have possibly stopped him from doing this?" I finally asked after the question has been meddling in my mind for the last thirty minutes or so. Michael and I don't talk so much so I'm really confused as to why did he call me out of everybody else in Damien's life.

I look up to see Michael with his eyebrows raised at me. He bit his bottom lip and shrugged.

"I don't know you were the first person to cross my mind when he called me," he finally answers.

"Why not Stacy? Since it seems Damien and her get along pretty well plus you like her more than you do me," the words tumbled out before I could stop them. I cover my mouth with my hand in embarrassment.

Michael laughs and shakes his head amused. "I'm sorry but you got it all wrong,"

What

"What do you mean?"

"Number one I don't like Stacy at all what's so ever! She's so annoying and clingy and it's not that they "are close"...." he does quotation marks on the air and laughs one more time.

"They just like to mess around to be completely honest,"

"Oh.," I say a little bit hurt.

"But hey... she's not here all worried about him.. you are," he says softly.

"Still.. he doesn't care," I say my voice cracking at the end.

"He does. He's just too stubborn and a prick when it comes to opening up.." He laughs dryly.

The cheers started getting louder and louder and everyone had gathered all around Damien and Jace. I tried not to look back again but curiosity got the best of me when I heard the countdown.