4

"Dinah, how come you haven't found a job yet?" Gordon asked his daughter as all of the adults were sitting outside under the shade, watching the kids play in the backyard.

Dinah slightly looked over to Normani, afraid to make eye contact because the older girl never knew that her girlfriend was even looking for a job.

"I uh, I don't know tamai (dad)." Dinah said lowly as she could feel eyes burning in the side of her head.

"Maybe its because you stay in the house all day." Milika said, mostly saying it to Normani. Blaming her for their daughter not having any real social life. "Have you even been trying? Its not like you don't have a computer, fill out some applications, make you a resume or something." She said.

"I know, I know." Dinah said guilty. She had already filled out 2 job applications, one for Footlocker and the other for Taco Bell. But she never turned them in...she never got the chance to get away from Normani and because she felt like she was betraying her girlfriend.

"Dinah, could we talk?" Normani asked, nodding to the door that lead them to the kitchen. Dinah nodded.

Normani got up and walked over to the sliding door, and Dinah was about to follow, before her mother stopped her with a death glare. " 'Oua" (Don't) Milika stated.

Dinah slowly sat back down and looked up at Normani. "Sorry." She mumbled.

Milika and Gordon looked at Normani as Dinah stared down at her lap.

Normani nodded and went upstairs to Dinah's old room. When she got there, she took her shoes off and placed them in the closet. She plopped down on the bed with her phone in her hand. Her finger hovering over her best friend Lauren's contact. She needed to talk to someone. She needed to hear from someone that coming here with Dinah wasn't a bad idea.

Even though it probably was.

Dinah's parents have been nothing but mean or rude to her since they got here. Normani almost left a couple times, but after Dinah kept telling her to stay, she gave in.

Dinah convinced her that her parents were just trying to get under her skin.

Normani's mind was now made up and she was waiting for Lauren to answer the phone. And after a few rings, she did.

"Hello?" Lauren answered with a......moan?

"Hey, what are you up to?"

"Uh, nothing. " Lauren said, and Normani could tell that she was busy....yeah, that kind of busy.

"You haven't talked to me in a couple of days and I miss you."

"Fuck, fucking shit! " the dark haired girl tried to curse under her breath. "Yeah, I've uh, just been busy ya know?"

Normani giggled, "Listen, I can call back later okay?"

"That's a great idea, love you babe. "

"Babe? Lauren who's that?" Normani heard another voice in the background ask.

Normani chuckled and shook her head, "Hi Ashley!"

"Hi, Mani! We gotta go okay? " Ashley, Lauren's girlfriend said loudly, causing Normani to laugh and shake her head again.

"Bye girl, I love you too." She finishes before hanging up.

So now she just laid on her back , trying to fall asleep and get away from all of this mess.

It was stressful being in love with Dinah Jane. But she wouldn't trade it for the world. If putting up with her family's dislike for her means that she could spend everyday of their lives together, it was certainly worth it.