Chapter Nine: The Homecoming Night

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Sebastian was all happy-go-lucky - that is, until Grell was out of his sight. When he turned to me, his inner South High Demon began to show. "You better stay away from my girlfriend, Spears," he growled, his red eyes squinted into the creepy glare again.

"W-What do you mean?" I asked. I was trying to sound tough and brave, but my question came out like a scared whimper. Great, now he probably suspected me to be the biggest wimp ever.

He rolled his eyes, scoffing. "You know what I mean. I can just see it, you've got a thing for Grell. Just face it, Spears, she's mine."

Ouch. I shook my head, this was the perfect time to pull the clueless act. "Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Listen up. I'll put it into terms your brain can understand," He snarled. "Grell is my girlfriend. I want you to back off, you're getting a bit too close to her for my taste. Got it?"

I gulped down the fear. I couldn't let him see how frightened I really was. Sebastian could be extremely intimidating when he wanted to. "Got it," I answered with a sigh. I stood from my seat on the bleachers, brushing off my pants and picking up the Walmart bag of spare clothes Remi had given me earlier. "I'm gonna go grab something to eat," I mumbled as I left for the concession stand. But in all honesty, I just need an excuse to get away from Sebastian.

I pulled out my wallet and purchased a bag of popcorn and a bottle of Dr. Pepper. On my reluctant way back to the bleachers, I bumped into someone. I silently thanked my luck for stalling me on my way to the stands, back to Sebastian. "Whoa, sorry, Will," The voice, which I instantly recognized, said.

"Ronnie?" I asked, dumbfounded, staring at my blonde drummer friend in shock. I listened to the band playing in the background and I became even more confused. "What're you doing here, shouldn't you be playing with the band?"

He shrugged and unwrapped a Snickers bar, munching into the chocolate coated candy. "I was hungry," he stated simply, taking another bite. "Besides, it's the end of the first quarter. I deserve a little break, and a treat." He gestured to his Snickers and ran a hand over his stomach. "I'm not a good drummer when I'm hungry."

"Very funny." I laughed sarcastically at his take on the catchy commercial. Ronnie decided to join me on my way back to the bleachers, taking our time as we walked. "So, what's your impression of Sebastian?"

Ronnie shook his head, his ginger-blonde hair swishing around. "He's trouble," He mumbled through a mouthful of candy. "I don't like him, he's a big jerk whenever Grell's not around. Something tells me that he might be using her."

"I know," I agreed. "He threatened me to stay away and back off. He thinks I'm hitting on her!"

"That's messed up!" Ronnie gasped, his jaw dropping. He quickly shut his mouth and sighed. "I don't trust him with our Grell."

"Neither do I. Personally, I think someone needs to keep an eye on him. That's why I'm staying for the dance."

-

After several touchdowns and a win for the North High Reapers, the football game was over and it was time for the Homecoming dance to start. I observed myself in the filthy school bathroom mirror. I had changed into the clothes Remi had brought for me to wear to the dance. She had chosen a three-piece suit - a black tie, a white dress shirt, a grey waistcoat, and a black blazer. Remi even bothered to pick out a pair of slacks and a pair of black Barmoral shoes. I sighed and shook my head. I looked more like a business man heading to a huge meeting rather than a Homecoming dance attendee.

I watched Ronnie's reflection come up behind me in the mirror and felt him place his hands on my shoulder. "Looks like Remi went all out, huh? I told her she should've gone into fashion instead on medicine, she'd do so much better at that."