103: Shade of Gray

Sabrina, the land where no beast reside. A land with advanced livelihood and where peace is achievable under the government of a trusted royalty. It is a continent where monarchy is still the most commonly used ideology.

But besides the royalty who seats comfortably on their expensively adorned furniture, the Apostles control the life of the many.

In the silence of the night, the crickets could be heard chirping away. The hoots of the owls could be heard in chorus. It was quite a lively night if one listened very carefully. And within a tent lit with a dense ball of light, several people crowded the breathing space. Everyone but two of them were awake to realize their differences.

One was a son of a noble family. In his previous life, he was the brother of the girl before him whose appearance is much different than he remembered. He looked forlorn and exhausted, but his grey eyes were determined to remain awake in the presence of the girl.

The girl, a once quiet high school student, suddenly transported in a world foreign to her own, died and in constant change. Her existence continuously questioned, her mind always wandering. Her determination to keep her friends safe remain unfazed with tragic events.

She looks at her brother with affection, like they have never seen each other for thousands of years. They have both changed. In appearance and personality. They were much more different than they used to be like with just one another in their life. She smiled a lonely smile.

As soon as he saw her expression, he felt like crying inside. He knew then, she was saying goodbye to the past. But despite the looming fear and sadness, he couldn't help but ask, "Why?"

She did not move towards him, not to comfort him like she would usually do, but instead, she took her ground from where she remained standing since upon her entrance. Her eyes glanced over the unconscious people in the room and heaved a soft sigh. ["Brother... No.. Kiel Fang,--"]

He winced at her address, but remained still to listen.

["..You are a noble, and your responsibility lie to these people. I am, but a hindrance to your future. Let go of our past lives, and you can help Eden Kingdom in its conquest to a new era. I beseech you to finally look into your own self, and be the person these people will be proud to see. You are much more than what you are right now, Kiel Fang; Son of Dean Fang."]

Her cold indifferent tone cut deep within his soul. Slowly, he felt presence akin to essences, but it was much too foreign for him to recognize at the moment. Slowly, a core was coursing at his center. Unbeknownst to him, the terrible pain he was going through was causing the essences to make a path for his talent with what he might consider as magic.

She did not miss the change within him, and one of her theories was then proven to be correct. It was not only evolution that can make a person gain the ability to use the essences, but also those who have experienced negative emotions.

The connection between the two is a matter she wishes to find out with the Diary of King Wern.

When he looked up, he saw her eyes perked with sudden interest, and he wondered why. However, his mind was suddenly engulfed by a sudden longing to their time alone in their previous life. He was very much contented then. "If only...."

["Kiel Fang, forget everything. You and I are not a family in this world. We are merely strangers that coincidentally met each other, and have been working together for a common goal. I have a proposal to make."]

He frowned at her last words despite the pain in his chest. He felt a scorching pain within, like it was unbearable. But he remained steady. The only love of his life finally abandoning him so easily.