60: Broken City

Finishing his job on the north-eastern part of the city, Liam decided to follow Lea into the castle. "Boring..."

Although his magenta eyes appeared to be disinterested to his surroundings, he had been doing Lea's orders dutifully. He was a walking contradiction.

Loud murmurs could be heard behind Lea, and she noticed the old man with a crown fidget at her sight. She wondered why he appeared cautious when she only appeared to be a child. If they were treating her harshly with her childlike appearance, what more if she appeared much like her actual age...

With a sigh, she grabbed Izaya away from the old man without care. Her ruby eyes only focused on Izaya's wounds and face. "Such a kind man...." She whispered through gritted teeth.

She vowed then and there that whatever the King of Sabio was, he would never get away without feeling the same pain. Her determination increased by ten fold, she was sure to mow the lands of evil. She was doing quite a fine job being Ingrid's proxy without realizing it herself.

Her store of essences were slowly running out with continuous usage. Thanks to Seth, she had been able to restrain her essence manipulation, which enabled her to absorb and store more in the process. However, she has a limit.

She then realized it would be more convenient if she grew a bit more to handle physical fights at least. With that thought in mind, Lea decided to pour her attention on growing when she next gets the chance.

Izaya remained on her small lap for a duration, and the civilians held themselves back at the sight of their general slowly recovering. Although there were still a few who were urging the others to remove the strange child away from their precious general who protected them from the beasts' massacre. They could not cross a certain boundary laid out around the couple and the fox.

They guessed it was another demon spell Lea must have summoned to keep them away, and they were too afraid to find out. So they remained idle, whispering amongst themselves.

The old man with a crown remained observant.

 ☘

"Nia." 

Surprised by the call, Nia turned his head abruptly from clawing away a certain beast he had found under a rubble.

"Let's go to the castle, bring that beast with you."

Nia recognized Seth as someone the girl, he later knew as Lea, as her most trusted aide compared to Liam. So without complaint or grunts, he lifted up the small beasts onto his shoulder with a nod. "O-Okay."

Seth then turned around to lead the way. He had noticed Liam heading to the castle as well. He couldn't leave the man with Lea alone, and he couldn't leave Nia lone. Without much choice, he decided to join up with Lea where he last saw her head towards.

The beast Nia was slowly killing seemed to be quite conscious and was simply cowering in fright, which was unusual for a young hungry beast. Lea would be interested to meet the little beast that looked similar to a sloth. He couldn't wait to reach her soon. "Hurry, Nia."

And at his words, he and Nia dashed towards the castle. Occasionally, Nia would trip from nothing. 

Her face has now turned placid. She was pushing herself healing Izaya, but not long after, she noticed him regaining consciousness. And as he fully opened his eyes, his golden eyes landed on Lea's face that was looking down on him. He realized he was resting on her lap, it was soft, he thought.