Chapter 3

The song for this chapter is "Stricken" by Disturbed.

Enjoy!

****

Jamie Watson

I knew simply walking away from Nate would be too easy and he did not seem to be the type of person who liked to take that route and seconds later he proved that to be true. "Where do you think you're going?" Nate spat curiously, his raucous voice burning my eardrums along with his heavy taunting footsteps that followed behind us.

"I'm not staying with you" I hissed in response, not bothering to turn around and face him. Instead, I continued my walk down the stairs, holding Carter's warm hand tightly, the simple gesturing bringing me a certain inner peace that I desperately needed.

Not liking my argumentative nature, he let out a low growl. "You're not going with him" he ordered sternly as I spun around so quickly, I nearly gave myself whiplash. Who did he think he was? Gazing up I watched the icy shade of blue disappear from his eyes only to be replaced by an endless onyx pit. It was as if there was no soul behind them, he was lifeless and fueled by rage. He glared back at me, the darkness taking over to were barely any white was visible. His lips formed a perfectly straight line as he gestured to his Beta without an ounce of care.

Mustering up the confidence I continued to fight him ignoring the dangerous aura that surrounded him. "I don't have to listen to you" I murmured, my voice coming out shaky instead of assertive. Biting the inside of my cheek as I tried to ignore my wolf who was pleading with me to stop fighting and go with him. How could she care for him? He was not our mate and did not deserve our loyalty.

"Yes, you do" Nate seethed, his jaw clenched tightly as he tried to remain calm. His intense tone was continuing to irk Carter and drive his wolf into protector mode. Placing his hand on my shoulder he gave it an encouraging squeeze as if trying to tell me to let him handle Nate, but I would not allow that.

"You're not my mate nor my Alpha!" I screamed frustratedly, not caring about the crowd of their pack mates that was beginning to grow as they watched the drama unfold on the staircase.

Amused by my banter, he snickered. Leaning down he made sure his breath would fan my face as he spoke. "That's where you are wrong princess, I'm both" he gloated his sinister smile growing which only caused Carter to growl as he stepped up to my side. This only seemed to make Nate fill with joy as he watched his Beta become aggravated. It became clear more than ever that Nate's main goal was to hurt Carter and the more he implied I was his the more he succeeded.

Feeling the need to defend him I shot back once more. "I don't care if you marked me, you will never be my mate" I grunted with distaste as sharp silver streaks shot through his eyes like a firework in the sky. My jaw unhinged, shaking as I watched him, nothing but pure terror filling my being. "Carter is my mate, he was chosen for me" I added weakly as his massive muscles flexed under his shirt. Hearing my harsh reality, the vein in his neck began to pop out and his large hands began to take the form of fists.

Though instead of the raged fueled response I expected, he sighed relaxing his entire frame as he did. "Think whatever you want for now, but I can already feel your wolf wanting mine. Soon enough you'll want the same" he predicted brushing past us on the stairs purposely hitting his shoulder into Carter's as he passed.

I cringed as Nate charged down the steps holding my breath the entire time until I heard the front door slam. I spun slowly so I was now facing Carter again, taking in the scraps boarding his face from his previous scuffle. "We will figure this out" he promised me for the second time tonight as I nodded hopefully holding back the waterfall of tears ready to pour out.