{Chapter Eighteen}

Today is homecoming. And I'm going single. I had a few offers from pricks, but I said no. Max is going with some girl. Bryce is taking Lilly. He set up a whole fairy lights thing in his room with flowers and candles. It was like a movie. They took a selfie and put it on Instagram. Vanessa is going with Daniel, Mona is going with some guy; they are going as "just friends". Fredrick and Augustus are going with cheerleaders. 

We are all meeting there at eight. It starts as seven but no one wants to get there early as it apparently makes you look like a loser.

Dad wasn't too happy that I bought a new dress for this but I have makeup, jewellery, shoes and a bag. My dress is red and sparkly at the top and ties around the neck with bare shoulders and a ribbon thing around the waist. The skirt bit is layered. It is short but no too short. It doesn't look trampy. I took a picture of it in the shop with the girls. I really like it. I hope I can wear it again. 

It is currently ten to eight and Lilly and Bryce aren't here yet

It is currently ten to eight and Lilly and Bryce aren't here yet. They are my ride there and back which is sweet of them. I can't wait to see what they are wearing. I come downstairs and I see dad at the bottom with a camera. I put my hands in front of my face. "Dad! No." I say, trying to shuffle past him. "Please Grace. I wanna put pictures up around the house." I take my hands away from my face. He is right. We have no pictures up. Not even in my room. "Okay. Only if you let me help you decide which pictures we use." I put my hands firmly on my hips. "Deal." He shakes my hand. I pose awkwardly for the camera. "Come on Grace. Smile." He smiles over the camera. I smile. "That's beautiful." He admires the photo. "Let me see." I try to take the camera form him but he holds it up. Why am I so small. "Your mother would be so proud of you." He strokes my cheek and I see water fill in his eyes. I here a car honk and I peer through the curtain. "Bye dad." I hug him. "No sex." He commands. "Ew dad!" I pull a vomit face making him laugh and I leave. I slide into Bryce's car. Strapping myslef in. "Hey guys. You look great." Lilly turns around to me in the back. "You look stunning without glasses." She giggles. "Got them in my bag just in case I have to read something." I laugh.

I miss my glasses already.

We get there and I need a wee. "You guys go ahead. I will be in the ladies." I say as we enter the building and pee walk over to the ladies. Why does your body become a weirdo when you need to piss. Its like your bladder is tell your body to look like an idiot.

I enter the hall. Its strange to think we are dancing in a food hall. It doesn't look like a food hall though. No table. The decorations of shapes and shadows and a disco ball with game stools, a DJ, food and drinks, a dance floor and lots of people with odd few teachers. I spot the guys and walk over. "OMG Grace. You look so... elegant." Mona smiles, releasing her dates hand. "Pretty sad though." This girl clenched to Max's arm says to me. Whats her name? We met at that party. Angie? "Showing up single." She raises her shoulders. "Amber." Max turns to her. That's it. "Come on baby. We need a picture." She drags him. "What a bitch." Vanessa says, making us laugh. "What does he see is the pair a tits?" Lilly asks. "You answered your own question." Fredrick laughs to himself. "Would you prefer someone like that?" The girls holding his hand asks. "Well shes hot." Fredrick says. The girl pulls away. "Well you should have gone with her then." She marches off. Fredrick just takes a sip of his drink. "She will be back when they have to announce homecoming king and queen. The next song plays "Call on me" by Starley. "I love this song." Lilly smiles. "Come on lets dance." And we all head over to the dance floor.

I awkwardly dance my way through the song. I must look like and idiot.

We all get a picture together. Me, Lilly, Bryce, Mona, Fredrick, Max, Augustus and Vanessa. We are all getting a copy. They get given to us in Homeroom. Me, Mona, Lilly and Vanessa get one and I get one with Max as he made me. "Come on." He says as we are stood in front of the backdrop. "What?" I ask. "Hop on." He crouches down and I jump onto his back. A piggy back photo. I actually have a genuine smile. Lilly and Bryce get one and so do the guys. 

I am sat on a bench. They surround the hall. The ones you use when doing a sport in Phys Ed that requires a bench. 

"Come on." Max approaches me. His hands in his pockets. He runs one hand through his hair. "Come one?" I repeat. "Just one dance." He puts out one hand. "I don't wanna." I sigh. "Why not?" He asks "I can't dance. You saw me dancing with the guys. One dance was enough." I answer him. He takes my hand and pulls me up onto the dance floor. "Max." I moan. "Come on." Then a slow dance song plays. I step back my he pulls me to him. "I can't help falling in love with you" by Haley Reinhart. He puts his hands on my waist and I stand there awkwardly for a moment. "When was the last time you slow danced?" He asks. "A while." I haven't slow danced since I was five, and it was with my brother at a family friends wedding. "Here." He places my arms resting on his shoulders and his hands back on waist. Majority of people are slow dancing. "I love this song." I smile. I like the Elvis version better though. "Same." I smile up at him. Even with heels, I have to look up at him. "You look beautiful tonight Grace." He says seriously. "You don't look to shabby yourself." This is a good first dance. I feel... comfortable around Max. I feel he gets me and can protect me. The song ends and the music stops. "Grace." He begins as I pull away. "Come on Max. They are announcing Homecoming Kind and Queen." Amber pulls on his arm and through the couples on the dance floor. The principle steps onto the stage and begins his little speech. "So now Homecoming king and queen..." He blabs on a bit about togetherness and education and fun and a lot of shit. I am stood on my own. Feeling a bit lonely as most people are in a couple, bar a few nerdy/geeky people. I feel sorry for them as that used to be.

"Hey Grace Claymouth." A man voice says behind my ear. He stands next to me. "Hello Michael Gino." I say back. "Came alone?" He asks. "Yeah. Well, I am with my friends but a lot of them a running for king and queen." I sigh. "Yep. My mom made me come." I tilt my head. "Aww. Is there anyone you wanted to come with?" I ask. "Yeah. Someone." He smiles at me. "And now king and queen." He says. "This years Homecoming queen is Amber Barch." Everyone claps and cheers, apart from the girls that lost, accept Lilly. She is sweet like that. She is more like Amber Bitch. I laugh to myslef. What? I think its good! The principle places the crown on her head and she stand there, fiddling with her boobs for the picture. "Homecoming King... Maximus Prier." The principle says as everyone claps him and pats him on the back. But he stands still for a moment. He turns around and looks at me. He looks puzzled. "Maximus Prier." The principle repeats. He walks onto the stage and the crown is placed on his head and the photographer takes their photo. "Now everyone onto the dance floor for the king and queen slow dance. Don't forget king and queen to afterwards get your photo taken at the photo bit thing." They step of the stage and the DJ. Photographer #2 starts taking pictures of couple dancing. I'm guessing for yearbook.   

The song "I wanna dance with somebody" play, but not by Whitney Houston, but by some girl and guy. 

"Wanna dance?" Michael asks me. "Sorry?" I ask, in a confused tone. "I wanna dance with somebody." He laughs. "That was cringe! But I will still dance with you." Another slow dance. "I look over to see Max looking at me as he slow dances with Amber. I look away. "Do you ever wanna grab a movie sometime or maybe dinner or coffee? I wanna get to know you. You seem really interesting." That will be a surprise for him. I smile and blush. Dammit. "Yeah. I would. But we have only met through clumsiness" I smile up at him. I rest my head on his shoulder, looking past him and she is there. She is wearing that white dress, her hair perfect and he white heels. Very little makeup. I She looks proud. I close my eyes and re open them and she is covered in blood. It is coming out of her mouth and her palms. She mouths "Help me" at me. I jump back and Michael steps in front of me. "Are you okay?" He asks. I step around me and she is gone. "I thought I saw something." I stumble out. 

It wasn't the alcohol.

Thanks for reading, written by Jess and Liv. Hope you enjoyed and sorry for the long chapter. Any feedback or music choices please let us know xx Love ya guys xx