Chapter Eight: Happy Place, William

Start from the beginning

Did I just call her my Grell?

"Here we are!" Grell said. She parked the car in the driveway of the house. Grell lived in a two story house. They had re-sided the house three years back during the summer, and now it was sided in brown. On the second floor over top of the garage, was Grell's room. There was only one window in her room, and right outside of it was a tall cottonwood tree. Many times Ronnie and I had climbed up that tree to sneak Grell in a McDonald's number 3, a chicken sandwich. Grell's parent's were vegetarians, whereas their daughter wasn't. Poor Grell was stuck with asparagus and lettuce instead of real food. Ronnie and I would sometimes feel bad and sneak her fast food. 

Grell and I exited the convertible and walked up to the door. I followed Grell in and didn't really mind because her parent's liked me. "Don't worry," she informed me, "neither of my parents are home."

"So do you want me to wait downstairs while you change?" I asked. I didn't want to follow her into her room when she was planning to change. That would be super awkward for both. 

"Yeah, sure," she said as she ran upstairs. I waited for a little while and set my bag on the floor. Then I got bored and sat on a red colored couch. I surveyed the room, the Sutcliffs had done some redecorating since I had been here last. The decor was all in red and black. The couches and seats were red, while the coffee tables and bookshelves were black. Last time I had visited them, the bookshelves and such were red, and the sitting places were black. I heard a click and looked up the stairs. At the top stood Grell. 

"You look-" I was completely stunned. She looked absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. The dress was, of course, red. No other color was suitable. It appeared to be chiffon, and lightweight, probably so she could dance. The dress had a v-neck halter top that tied around her dainty neck. It was cinched at the waist by a sparkly jeweled belt. A knee-length skirt flowed like water with her every movement. Three-inch red high heels adorned her pale feet. They looked kind of like a sandal, with red satin wrapping around her toes and a red bow tying around her ankle. 

"Does it look bad?" Grell asked, worried. She started down the stairs. I walked to the bottom of the stairs and waited. 

"No," I told her, "you look ravishing." She blushed and looked away as she stepped down another step. She shouldn't have looked away. Grell missed the next stair step and fell. I jumped to catch her, and I cushioned her fall. We both thudded to the floor with Grell on top. Her legs were on either side of mine. It was the single most awkward position ever. "You okay?" I asked Grell. She gulped and nodded. 

"What's going on?!" 

Grell and I both jumped and I attempted to twist my head to see who had spoken. "Hi Dad," Grell said. 

"Honey!" That voice could only belong to Grell's mother, "get off the poor boy before you kill him!" Grell obeyed her mother's command. 

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliff," I began awkwardly, "I can assure you that there is a perfectly good explanation for that awkward scene." 

"There had better be," Grell's dad growled. I winced, and Grell rolled her eyes. 

"I was showing William my dress for Homecoming, and I kind of fell," She put on her puppy dog eyes, causing her parents to melt. 

"That's alright dear!" Her mother assured. "And William! How many times have I told you to call me Auntie!"

"We aren't related," I said bluntly. 

"Come on Will," Grell's dad insisted, "why don't you stay for supper? We're having tofu tacos!" I didn't want to say no to Grell's parents, but I really hated tofu.