Love At First Sight

Camila's PoV

My hand settled on top of Lauren's leg. She couldn't sit still as we sat in my office alone. "Lo," I grabbed her hand when she began to chew on her nails, "stop. It's okay to be nervous but you're going to chew your whole nail off." I twisted my face up slightly and she sighed, bringing her hands back down to her lap.

"What's taking them so long? I thought you had some sort of authority here." Lauren mumbled cutely and got up from her chair, pacing the floor slowly.

"I had to do the same with Dylan, you know. It wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. I took her with me that first night but I still had meetings to go through and an interview process." I said gently and grabbed her hand softly, pulling her to me. "We'll be fine, I swear."

"I know." Lauren said nervously. "I just keep thinking about the pain he's been through. A mother ran out on him and his father was so far gone when he'd lay a hand on him..." she paused, her eyes beginning to water. "He must be feeling so confused."

I pulled her close and she buried her face in my neck. I could feel her body start to shake a bit and I knew that she was shedding tears she needed to. "I know baby," I rubbed her back lightly.

"How do you deal with this?" Lauren pulled back, wiping her face with her hands. I handed her some tissues off my desk and she thanked me.

"It's not easy." I said honestly. "You said it the best though," I tucked hair behind her ear, "these children can come in here and leave knowing that we'll find the best home possible. Lauren, we try and run a very clean and strict environment around here. We really dig deep into the parents who want to foster and go through every detail of their lives and living habits. Kenora is small compared to other cities, it's easier for us to try and control the housing and all parties involved. Dylan was in a larger city where some departments and social services aren't as thorough."

"I really love your dad," she whispered. "I'm really thankful for him and what he's done for us."

I nodded and helped her calm down a bit before there was a knock at the door. "Come in."

Ryn opened the door and smiled softly as the case worker shook our hands and handed us papers to be filled out. He also gave us a list of items Matthew would need, a monthly budget and we'd have our first home visit within the next couple of weeks.

"I'm sure you'll do more than fine, Miss Cabello." Mr. Jenkins nodded confidently. "As always, it's a pleasure working with you."

Mr. Jenkins was a fine case worker for children. He was one of the best we had and I would be sorry to see him go when and if the day arrived.

Ryn moved into the hallway, allowed the man out and then she came back in with a three year old Matthew trailing behind her shyly.

"Oh he's precious." Lauren merely whispered as she watched him cling to Ryn's legs in a death grip.

Matthew Aaron Rule had a head full of the darkest brown curls and blazing green wide eyes. He was so quiet and small but the moment his eyes locked onto Lauren's, I noticed a flicker of something happen behind those innocent eyes.

"Hi Matthew." Lauren got down on her knees and just stayed there quietly, watching him as he stared at her with some sort of amazement. "My name's Lauren."

Matthew tilted his small head and stepped a little away from Ryn and closer to Lauren. "Mattew."

Ryn and I exchanged smiles as I knelt down beside Ashley, watching those curious green eyes focus on me. "My name is Camila, do you remember me?"

Matthew softly nodded his head before he took interest in my fiancée once again. "Lo." He pointed to her and when Lauren nodded, he grinned, showing his baby teeth.

Slowly, the boy made his way into Lauren's open arms where he pressed his face tight against her neck, his tiny fingers clutching onto her shirt while he buried himself away. Lauren turned to look at me with tears in her eyes while her hand started to run through his curls and leaning her cheek against his head.

I just witnessed what most dreamers would call it; love at first sight.

I knew that it wasn't Lucas I had to worry about getting attached to this beautiful little boy, but the brown eyed woman in front of me didn't look like she was ready to let go anytime soon.

Lauren and I had come prepared with a car seat already secured in the back of her mustang. She bought it before the meeting and we made plans to go shopping for everything Matthew would need after we had him in our care.

Lauren held the three year old in her arms as she stood up, his face shyly secured in her neck. "Isn't he precious?"

"Yes." I smiled softly and ran my fingers through his curls while kissing Lauren on the cheek.

"Aww." Ryn stood there with a hand held up to her chest. "He's usually painfully shy with strangers holding him."

Lauren's smile lit up the room with pride. "I'm really glad I thought of this."

"Me too." I whispered honestly and grabbed the papers off my desk. "I'm going to start filling these out and then get you to sign them, kay?"

Lauren nodded and pointed down towards the hall. "Matthew and I will be in the play area."

Ryn grinned and watched the two take off, Lauren whispering things in the little boy's ear. "Wow, I don't think it's Luc you have to worry about."

"Exactly what I was thinking." I chuckled and sat down in my chair. "I've seen Lauren's eyes light up so many times but this was different. It was almost as if she held her own child for the first time." I could picture her face when Dylan was born and that made me happy.

Lauren was finally putting some pieces together of her jagged past and mending them slowly. Matthew was helping her just as much as she was helping him.

"Well once you're done here, give them to me and I'll do my part of the job." Ryn smiled and sat down across from me as I filled out the all-too familiar forms. "Matthew has asthma but from what I was told, he doesn't have anything to help him with it."

I looked at her and nodded, "We'll make him an appointment. I want to make sure he's healthy."

The rest of the day went rather smoothly. I had made an appointment for Matthew for the following morning. Lauren was a little upset that she couldn't come with us but I assured her we'd stop by and see her for lunch. She seemed more than thrilled.

Matthew finally felt the heavy day of events take a toll on him and passed out in the backseat of the car in the Walmart parking lot.

"You think we got him everything he needs?" Lauren asked worriedly and glanced back at his sleeping form.

"Everything and more." I rolled my eyes a little and smiled when she blushed. "You so went all out with Dylan, didn't you?"

Lauren nodded. "She was way worse Camz," she blushed, "I had no one there to tell me when to stop. I ended up selling most of the stuff realizing she didn't need it or wouldn't be interested in them."

"Well," I held up a few bags from one of our carts, "I think it's safe to say this kid will never be bored."

"Are you sure you still have Lucas's old bed?" She turned to look at me. She was just so fucking adorable with Matthew.

"Yes baby, I promise. It's all wrapped up nicely in the basement. We'll let it air out and in the meantime, we'll place him on the spare bed while he naps."

Lauren nodded and got into the car after the last of bags were stuffed in every possible spot in the car. "I over did it, didn't I?"

I couldn't help but bring her hand to my lips, kissing lightly. "No baby. You did everything perfectly."

Her eyes sparkled as she pulled out of the lot.