Points Underneath

Lauren's PoV

"Are you sure you don't find this weird?" I asked Camila as she set a tray down on the coffee table with hot apple cider.

"Um," she shrugged and sat on the chair across from me, "a little." She admitted with a small smile. "I wasn't expecting a phone call from you, let alone a request to come over."

I took a sip of my drink after blowing on it and cast my eyes towards hers. "I wouldn't have been offended if you said it wasn't okay, Camila." I whispered. "Everything is so..."

"Surreal?" Camila asked and I nodded. "Is everything okay?" She asked so sweetly, taking a bite of one of the many assorted crackers on a plate.

"No." I simply replied. "I mean, here I am so happy that I almost have Dylan back in my life, you know? But then there's the fact that she's become such a big part of your family with Lucas. I witnessed that within the matter of two hours I was here last night and I just feel like I'm intruding."

Camila's gaze held mine a little before she cleared her throat and putting her mug down. "You're not an intruder," she licked her lips and took interest in her bookshelf before glancing back at me, "Dylan is your daughter Lauren and despite what happened, she belongs with you. I feel quite privileged to take care of her for you."

I melted at her warm smile.

How was she so calm about this?

"How are you so calm?" I frowned slightly. "I think about this and I have to run to the bathroom or the nearest bush and puke my guts out."

Whoa, way to be forward Jauregui.

Camila frowned in concern. "Is that healthy?"

"Nerves." I whispered and played with my fingers. "I think I'm broken."

"Broken?" Camila smiled and stood. Oh my, she was coming my way. I felt the couch sink slightly as she sat beside me. "Where are you broken?"

"Everywhere." I answered honestly.

"I'm calm," she whispered and her eyes traveled over my face and down my neck before they dragged themselves back up again, "because there's no use getting upset over something that's inevitable."

"Aren't you upset at all?" I asked, this time I was the one checking her out. She had a scar above her right eyebrow and I frowned slightly. It looked like it could've been deep enough for stitches but Camila was too stubborn for stitches.

"Of course I am," she sat back and looked around her toasty warm living room, "this is hard for me, don't think it's not. I've got a daughter who's about to go on a rampage and I've never seen her this upset before that it's rather nerve-racking. We've got secrets being kept from us and from the one person we both thought we could trust," she sighed heavily, "and then I find out that the little girl I'm taking care of is none other than Lauren Jauregui's daughter."

I stared at her because for the first time in years, I was witnessing an emotional breakdown in the brunette. She had a very strong shield built to mask her feelings but she looked like she was about to lose it.

"I'm not saying my life was hard after you," she finally let a tear fall, "but God it was almost unbearable when I realized that you were never coming back."

"But I did!" I sat up and looked at her. "I did Camila and I told Sofi to tell you I stopped by."

"Well I didn't get the message," she stood up and began to clear the tray off the table, "but I did get a post card that you sent to the whole family while I was away at school."