"Did anyone do anything to you?" he asked. "Where did you disappear off to that day?"

After a minute of sitting like that, the dog seemed to have cooled down, and when Remus pulled away, he sat down on the ground, depositing his head on his knees. Remus laughed lightly. "Did you miss me?"

He barked in reply and Remus was certain that it was an affirmation.

"Are you sure about this, Remus?" Adam asked as soon as Remus stepped inside the shelter with the dog trailing by his side. A couple of other puppies turned their heads to look at the pair, and Remus knelt down on the ground to rest a hand on the dog's back in order to prevent him from going somewhere else. He was sure Adam hadn't believed his story of the claw marks, and the dog attacking someone was the last thing he needed now.

"Why wouldn't I be?" he asked, trying to keep his voice emotionless, as he kept his eyes on the dog and rubbed his back comfortingly.

"He was the one who attacked you that day," said Adam in a low voice. "I've been working with dogs for a decade now, Remus, and I know claw marks when I see one."

Remus sighed and looked up at him. "What do you want me to do?" he asked. "Throw him into the streets again? We can have this conversation later, Adam. Right now, he's hungry, so let me feed him first."

With a tone of finality in his voice, he stood up and left the room to get some food for the dog, while he followed him with his head bowed low, an unmistakable look of guilt crowning his face.

"It's okay, they won't do anything to you," Remus said softly, his hands working with a leather harness to tie it around the dog's chest and neck. They were out in the shelter grounds after the dog was stuffed with enough food to last him days - Remus sitting on a bench, while the dog stood obediently beside him, allowing him to fasten the clasps of the harness.

With a click, the leash was locked into place and Remus leaned back to examine it, making sure that it wasn't too tight or too loose. Once he was done, the dog barked softly, and thanked him with a rather large and soppy lick on his face. He laughed, saying, "Now you have to promise me that you will be a good boy and won't attack anyone, okay?"

The dog hung his head in shame, letting out a low, apologetic whimper. His ears drooped and when Remus pulled him into a hug with a soft chuckle, he trotted close to him and brought his nose down to his chest, sniffing.

"Now, you don't have to apologise for it," Remus laughed. "I told you, I've already forgiven you."

This seemed to satisfy him, as he barked loudly and happily before jumping down from the bench onto the ground, and began pulling on the leash, beckoning Remus to follow him, which he did. Remus didn't need to be a dog expert to know what he wanted, so in a second, they were out of the grounds and walking towards the dog park, both immersed in a very interesting conversation about cages and leashes.

Sirius wasn't entirely sure what to feel about returning to the shelter. He was certainly happy to be there - at least he didn't have to eat leftovers from dustbins - but he also didn't want to remain in hiding while death eaters massacred muggle areas for fun. But then again, he felt he still wasn't ready to meet his friends and the members of the Order who he had left behind, so for the time being, he convinced himself that it wouldn't really make a difference if he stayed at the shelter.