31. Troy & Abby

I groan as my phone continues to ring. Why didn't I put it on silent before I went to bed. I slam my hand on the night stand beside me, searching for the stupid thing. I press the answer button before putting it up to my ear.

"Hello." I say tiredly into the phone.  

"What the fuck, dude? You've gone missing for days and all I get is a hello?" I instantly recognize the angry tone and know that it's Jordan.

I sit up a little, my eyes still closed. "I don't want to talk to anybody. I don't want to be found. I'm a grown ass man. I can take care of myself."

He sighs, most likely frustrated with me. I'm glad to know he cares so much, but I'm not going to go off on the deep end. I just need some time and I just need to be away from everyone for a while. I'm not going to pretend I'm okay around them and I'm sure they don't want to see me being a dick around them.

"Just come back home, man." I can hear the pleading in his voice and it kind of hurts to hear him so desperate for me to come home, but he needs to understand. I have to do this for myself. 

"Jordan, just worry about you, Abby, and your child. I'm not okay and I'm not going to be okay there. I just need some time." I squeeze my eyes shut as hard as I can to prevent the tears.

"You know I'm here always. I love you, bro." I can hear the worry in his voice and I know it's taking everything in him not to cry.

"I know and I love you too. Tell Daniel I'm not mad at him. I'm not mad at Alyssa either. I just need time to be okay." I hang up before he can get another word in. I'm not even sure if I meant what I just said.

I get out of my bed, deciding I'm not going to waste the day away in a hotel room.

~~~~

I pull into a parking space in front of a hardware store. I'm somewhere downtown and if you ask me how I got here, I'm not sure I can tell you. I get out the car, closing the door behind me. Where should I go first?

I look around the town, people passing me and looking at me strangely. I notice a small sandwich shop and as if on command, my stomach growls. I make my way towards the shop, trying to keep my head low. This isn't really a small town, but it isn't big; I'm sure they would know if they got a new person in town.

I open the door to the shop and a small bell rings above my head. Everyone's attention turns to me and I stop dead in my tracks. I'm not scared of anyone, but I sure as hell don't feel like getting in a fight today. They stare at me a little longer before turning back to what they were doing. I relax a little and walk over to the counter, looking at the menu.

"What can I get you?" A girl with a thick country accent asks me.

"Um, what's good?" I shrug, still browsing the menu.

"The Philly cheese steak is always a favorite." She smiles, but I can tell she hates working here. She doesn't get paid to give customers sandwich suggestions.

"I personally like the pizzas here." I turn my head to see the girl from last night. Small world.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yup. It's pretty big too. We could split one." She suggests and I laugh. Her eyebrows come together, wondering why I'm laughing at her.

"You want me to pay for a pizza, so we can split it? I don't even know your name." I lean against the counter, fully turning towards her.

"I was gonna go half on it with you, dip shit. And it's Anna." I can't help but admire how she's not a normal girl. The way she talks to me. It's like I'm staring at the girl version of myself.