29. Jordan & Abby

When people used to say your life can change in an instance, I didn't believe them. I always thought things gradually changed over time, but now I know that's not the case anymore. My phone sits in my lap as I stare at Abby, who's sitting down on the floor against the wall on the other side of the room. She has her knees up to her chest with her hands on top of her knees, her head buried in her arms. We just got back home from Paris. We decided that staying wasn't really a good idea considering the circumstances has changed. Abby hasn't said much since we got back and I've been giving her space, but it's been killing me because I don't know what she's thinking. I look down at my phone, waiting for the inevitable call from Charity. I texted her the big news because I know that if it somehow gets out to the press, they'll make it into something bigger than it is. I glance over at Abby only to see her in the same position she's been in for the past hour. My phone begins to ring which causes her to look up at me. Our eyes lock on each other and we both want to say something, but we're unsure what to say. I exit the room, going into the kitchen to answer the call.

"Hello." My voice is low and flat, tired from staying up all night.

"Jordan, this better be a joke." Charity's voice comes through the phone, cold and strict.

"I wouldn't joke about something like that, Char." I sit down on one of the stools in the kitchen, resting my head on my hand. I stayed up all night tossing and turning. I was already tired from the plane ride, but I couldn't get any sleep because I kept thinking about Abby being pregnant. The news was unexpected and I'm still unsure how I feel about it.

"Jordan, you make my job very hard. Do you guys even know if you're going to keep it?" She asks. Silence is all she is brought with. Of course we're keeping it. Right?

Charity sighs, "Call me back when you get that far. I might have a plan."

She hangs up before I get the chance to say anything. She's pissed at me which is understandable. Not many people know about me and Abby aside from our family and friends. When it gets out that we're engaged and she's pregnant, her life is going to change. She won't have any privacy anymore and I'm afraid that that's going to ruin us.

"Who was that?" I turn to see Abby standing in the doorway, her eyes red around the rim from crying.

"Um, Charity." I say, staring at her.

"Did you tell her?" She looks down at her feet as if she's ashamed of herself or embarrassed.

"I had to. I needed some advice about----"

She cuts me off, "I'm not mad. You don't need to explain."

It's quiet for a moment, neither of us sure what to say. I have so many questions, but I don't want to ask her anything that might make her upset. Before I get to say anything, she speaks.

"Are you mad at me?" Her voice is fragile and she sounds so scared. Is this the reason why she has been acting like this? Why would I be mad at her?

"Why would I be mad at you?" I ask.

"You haven't said anything to me since we left from Paris." She looks down, moving some of her hair out of her face.

I get up from the stool and go over to her. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her closer to me. She rests her head on my chest, sighing in relief. I do the same, happy to have her back in my arms again. This whole time I've been giving her space because I thought she was mad at me.

"I was just giving you some space. I could never be mad at you for carrying my child. Our child." I correct myself.

She looks up at me, tears forming in her eyes. "I don't know what to do. I don't know how this works. I'm just so confused, Jordan."