19. Abby

I wipe away the tears as they fall while packing my bags. I'm not even folding any clothes; just throwing them inside the suitcase as I grab each item. It's pretty early in the morning, so no one should be awake. I want to leave unnoticed because if everyone knows that I'm cutting the trip short, it'll just cause problems. Especially with Jordan. All last night he sent me messages, asking me if I was okay. I replied that I was okay, just tired and that I would see him tomorrow, which is today, but that was a lie.

"Leaving early?" I turn around abruptly to see Jake standing in the doorway, hurt clear on his face.

I look down, ashamed before looking back up at him. "I wanted to tell you, but-"

He holds a hand up, cutting me off. "When did you become so selfish? We used to be best friends. We would tell each other everything and now you act like you barely have time for me or Alyssa. Abby, I can understand why you might be leaving, but not telling me you're leaving? That hurts."

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing will come out. He's right and I know if it were me in his place, I would be upset. I wipe under my eyes, the tears still falling without my permission.

His face contorts into sympathy and he walks over to me, pulling me into his arms. He's still a better best friend than I'll ever be. Despite being angry with me, he still cares about me.

"It's going to be okay." He says, holding me close.

"I've made my mind up, so why does it hurt so much?" I cry.

"Are you absolutely sure this is what you want to do?" He asks, pulling away from me to look me in the eyes.

I think about it for a moment and that uncertainty comes back. I have something good with Shawn and Jordan is just my high school love that didn't work out. My heart feels like it's in a tug of war right now. I'm sure I'm only feeling like this because Shawn isn't here and Jordan is. I've got to get out of this place.

"It's Shawn. I love him." I say, uncertainty still in my voice.

He eyes me skeptically, "Abby, you don't have to rush a decision like this. You're getting married and that's not something to change your mind about last minute."

"I know what I want." I say more firmly this time.

"And Jordan?" He questions.

"I have to tell him. He deserves to know." I'm dreading this conversation because I know I'll just end up crying more. Jordan will try to sway my decision, but I have to stand my ground.

"Well, I guess the next time I'll see you will be at the wedding rehearsal." He looks sad and I wish I could just make everyone happy right now.

I grab his hand, "I promise, next trip I won't bail. Things are just complicated right now and I can't be here."

He nods his head, understanding. "Do what you have to do, Abby Wabby."

I smile a little before embracing him in a hug. This reminds me of when we both were standing outside of my house, hugging each other before we left to go off to college. We cried and didn't want to let each other go. I did the same thing with Alyssa and it was hard to get me into the car because I didn't want to leave my two best friends.

"Thanks, Jake. I love you." I say, barely above a whisper.

"I love you, too." He kisses the top of my head before leaving out of my room.

I sigh before packing the rest of my things up. Once I'm done with packing, I call the place that's supposed to have my car here soon. I rented a car because I didn't come here on mine. They tell me they're on the way and that they should be here any minute. Now, time to go face Jordan.