12. Abby

Jordan and I have been keeping our distance from each other for the past few days. We both are in this weird place right now. I can't believe I almost let him kiss me. I don't know what was going on with me. I think it mostly had to deal with me feeling a lot of gratitude towards him that I almost kissed him. I've been trying to wrap my mind around why I would almost kiss him and I haven't come up with much, but that.

I make myself another cup of coffee before looking through my notepad with all of the things I have to do for the wedding. Most of the stuff that's left is for Shawn to do. I write down a quick message into the notepad for Shawn telling him to make sure he makes the invitations for the wedding. We still have yet to come up with the new wedding date, but I'm sure he'll figure it out. He comes back from his trip next Monday, but by that time, I'll be gone back to my hometown.

My laptop begins to ring, letting me know someone is trying to face time with me. I turn the laptop towards me to see my brother's name on the screen. A smile instantly spreads on my face and I answer the call.

"Hey, Ms. Monroe." He instantly teases when he gets on the phone. He does this because whenever he calls me at the job, they refer to me as Ms. Monroe and he thinks it's too formal.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I smile.

"Mom and dad told me you were coming home this weekend. I plan on taking a trip down there too." He tells me.

"Are you sure you can? I heard about the whole murder case thing. How's that going by the way?" I ask.

"You know I can't give any details. We believe we have enough evidence to get this guy, but it'll all come down to how good the lawyer is. I just find the clues and what not." Every since Matt has become a detective, he always tried to make his job seem like it wasn't dangerous, but it is. One time he got shot in the arm, and I stayed by his side every day while he was in the hospital. I'm happy he found a career that makes him happy, but I don't necessarily like the danger it brings to him.

"How's Shawn? Is he coming back with you?" He asks when I don't speak.

"Um, no. He's going to finish up last minute adjustments for the wedding." I look down at my hand, staring at the ring he bought me.

"You know, you don't have to do this if you aren't ready. You seem apprehensive about the whole thing." He says.

I playfully roll my eyes, "You think because you're a detective you know everything."

"Because I'm a detective, it means I pay attention to details. I don't see that same light in your eyes when you talk about him." He's getting serious now and all I want to do is change the subject.

"I love him, Matt. I'm just stressed out lately, but it doesn't change the way I feel about Jor- I mean, Shawn." I mentally smack myself for the small mistake. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Who's Jor?" He asks, giving me a stern look. I give him a pleading look, begging him to let it go. But he won't. This is Matt, here, we're talking about. Stubbornness runs in our family.

"Abby, are you back talking to him?" He raises his voice a little, letting out an exasperated breath.

"It isn't like that. We're just friends." I roll my eyes at how he's overreacting.

"Abby, do you remember how you spent an entire summer crying every night and barely eating. Even when you went off to college, you were still fucked up because of that heart break that he caused." He's fussing at me and I hate how he's treating me like I'm still a teenager.

"It's been six years, Matt! Who am I to hold that over his head? He's sorry and I've forgiven him. If I keep holding on to that, then I'll never move on in life." I fuss back at him, trying to get my point across.