Chapter Three: The Author

Dark's body crumpled to the ground, leaving you alone with the man who hit him. The assailant was wearing a hoodie that covered the top-half of his face. From what you could see, he was probably an alter-ego.

He stepped over Dark and advanced on you, dragging the bat on the ground. His devious smile was enough to bring you out of your stupor. You weren't waisting any more time with this bullshit, you put your ass in gear and sprinted down the hallway. Fuck this shit I'm out.

You heard his footsteps thundering after you, growing nearer and nearer. You reached the door at the end of the hall and violently twisted the knob. It was locked. Why do doors hate me!

"Got you." You faced the man once more, he flashed his white teeth in a twisted smile. He clutched the bat tightly in his hand, ready to swing at you if need be.

"Who are you?" You asked him, not recognizing this character of Mark's. You were sure that he was an ego, since you would know Mark's mouth from anywhere.

"I'm​ The Author, of course." He walked slowly towards you, still holding that shit eating grin. He was getting a little too close for comfort.

"I wouldn't if I were you." You threatened, knowing he wouldn't adhere to your warning. You were going to have to fight.

"There's not a damn thing you can do, (Y/N)." He lowered his hood, revealing that he was indeed an alter-ego. "This is my story and I am in control."

"Don't say I didn't warn you." You shrugged, looking forward to this prick's beat down. You knew what to do, recalling your training with Dark. "For your sake, you better hope Dark is fine."

"That's cute." He laughed patronizingly at you. This fucker is so going to get it. He was closer to you now, just barely out of reach. You may be cornered, but you sure as hell weren't helpless.

Once he was close enough, he swung the bat at your head. You ducked, covering your head with your hands. You stood up and he swung again. This time you grabbed the bat with your left hand, blocking him temporarily. With a swift kick, your foot met his crotch and he hunched over in pain. The bat clattered to the floor, the sound amplified by the lack of ambient noise. You kicked his knee and down he went.

You picked up the bat and contemplated bashing his skull in. No, he didn't deserve that. Maybe a swift kick in the face, but murdering him might be a bit extreme.

"Get fucked." You looked down at him, he was curled in a ball holding his crotch. "Not so cute now, am I?"

You were unsure what to do now. You couldn't get in the locked door and the piece of shit on the floor was blocking your way. You could step over him, but he might grab you. You didn't really have anywhere you could go, though, and you needed to check on Dark.

"You better stay down." You said, holding the bat tightly. He didn't respond, he was still on the floor like a little bitch, but there was something that struck you as odd. He wasn't groaning or even moving anymore. He's gotta be playing possum.

You leaped over him as best you could and he did exactly what you thought he would. He grabbed your leg and you nearly went down. You couldn't pull your leg from his grasp, but you did give him that kick in the face he deserved.

He released your leg and his head bobbed to the side, losing consciousness. One less problem for me.

You ran towards Dark and kneeled down next to him. You dropped the bat on the floor and cradled his bleeding head in your hands. The weapon really did a number on him. No surprise, it's made of fucking metal.

You felt a pit forming in your stomach. Something was wrong and shit was about to go South. Well, farther South than shit had already went.

You picked up the bat again and looked behind you. Author was standing now, a sinister smirk present on his face. He was holding a small, black object, muttering something inaudible. You didn't know what he was holding, but you knew it couldn't be good.

"The bat falls from (Y/N)'s feeble hands as she warily approaches the man in her path."

Your hand dropped the bat against your will and you inched towards him. Whatever he had used to control you was working again. Fuck. I knew I should've bashed his skull in.

"You bastard." You spat at him. You weren't going to show how afraid you actually were. He didn't deserve that satisfaction.

Your legs carried you to him and you were only a few feet from Author. You tried to fight your body, but it wasn't working.

Author stepped towards you, closing this distance between the two of you. Once he got close enough, you threw a punch. He blocked your fist with his arm, seizing the opening of your guard to strike you directly in the nose.

The blow from your nose didn't phase you, you kept attacking. He blocked every hit, except one that landed on his jaw. He growled, holding his hand to the spot you hit. He chuckled, backing away from you.

"I think that's enough to satisfy your ego." He said, smirking. You glared at him in response, opening your mouth to retort.

"(Y/N)'s fear paralyzed her. She was on the brink of passing out." He said in his narrating voice. You couldn't move, you felt light-headed and unsteady.

He pulled his fist back before it connected to your temple. Your body gave way and fell to the ground as your vision went black.