Chapter Five

Today was my interview.

But more importantly it was Zain's audition. He was gone when I woke up with a note telling me good luck. I called him and apologized again. His mom and sisters were there with him, who also wished me good luck. Mrs. Malik was like the mom I always wanted. But I didn't take advantage of her. I didn't want Zain to think I was weird of hogging his mom. The only thing I told Zain about my past was that my parents wanted me to have a good future and they didn't have money to support that future so they sent me here. But that was a lie. I hated lying to him but I didn't want him to feel sorry for me and I didn't want to go back there.

The interview went smoothly and I think I'll get in but now I was just waiting for Zain to call me and say he got in. I know he got in. He had to because if he didn't then the judges are just mental.

Finally after 10 minutes of pacing back and forth in the hallways at the university he called.

"Hello? Zain! Are you in? If you aren't I swear I'm going to drag Clarissa out of her internship and slap those Judges and ma--"

"Woah slow down. How was your internship."

"Good now tell me."

"Are you in?"

"I don't know! Now tell me!"

"When will you know?"

"Zain Javaad Malik if you don't tell me right now I swear I will--"

"Ok ok. I got in!"

"OMG! Yes see I told you! So what now?"

"Boot camp."

"Oh so when will you be back?

"Um well if I fail boot camp I'll come home."

"And if you don't..."

"Then I'm staying."

"So this is seriously goodbye?"

"No! There's a chance I'll see you!"

"No there isn't. Zain you will pass boot camp and you will get to finals. And then you will get signed and you will be a huge superstar! And I'll just be one of those people you used to know..."

"No you won't. You and Clarissa will never leave my mind. Besides I'll be in Bradford from time to time."

"And I'm going to be at Uni."

"We can keep in touch and--"

"Yeah ok Zain. Just win something for us ok? Bye Zain."

I hung up the phone as the waterworks started. Letting go of Zain was so hard since he was one of first people I could call family. I quickly wiped my tears and walked out of the school. I remember Zain telling me I should audition as well but I didn't want to compete against him and I didn't like the idea of singing in front of many people. I dialed Clarissa's number and she answered with squeals.

"OMG ZAIN GOT IN! WE TOTALLY HAVE TO CELEBRATE WHEN HE COMES BACK AN--"

"Ris he isn't coming back."

"What do you mean."

"He has to do this Boot camp thing. If he passes that then he's going to be in the competition and he's going to get signed and he's going to become this huge popstar."

"Oh. So this was really goodbye then..."

"Yeah."

"How was your interview?"

"It was great. I'm pretty sure I got in."

"You don't sound happy."

"Because Zain is gone."

"Did you like Love him?"

"Yeah as a brother."

"Oh."

"Why?"

"Nothing you're just crying like you broke up with him or something."

"You're telling me that you aren't sad that Zain is gone?"

"I'm sad but I'm happy for him. And it's not like we won't ever see him again. He'll visit and when he does we'll be there." I sighed. Out of the three of us, Ris was the last person I expected to get the "mature one" titled.

"Well I have to go now. Have fun with your internship."

It was times like these when I wondered what everyone in Doncaster was doing. Were my parents ok? How was Louis? Did he find a new victim? I never contacted my parents and if they tried to contact me I would've never known since I disconnected that number. Zain helped me choose a new phone shortly after I got here. I made sure I lost all connections with that life. Including my clothes. I bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes and donated the others to Charity. I still had a lot of that money left. Mostly because ever since I met Ris and Zain we always went out or we slept at each other's houses. Now with both of them gone it felt like I was starting all over again...

***

Louis POV

I can't believe I got in! I was so worried and now I made it to boot camp. I hope all goes well for me. This was a new life I was stepping into.