6| One step is all it takes

Chapter 6: One step is all it takes

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

M E R C Y

I WALK INTO school the next day with my entire body aching. I hardly got any sleep, just me fading in and out of existence.

I see Azita with two other girls and a guy, and I give them a small smile before approaching them. " Guys this is Mercy, oh by the way Mercy these people are new too," Azita says, introducing each other.
" Mercy?" The one with shorter and darker hair remarks, raising her eyebrows in amusement.

I just nod in response.

" I'm Caitlin, and this is Niall," The one with lighter brown hair smiles. She had the whole good girl gone bad aura, with confidence beaming from her. It could make anyone feel intimidated.

Niall however has brown hair with small flecks of blonde. Just from the small glances he gave Caitlin it's obvious that Niall loves her. " I'm Niall, Caitlin's boyfriend," He says, confirming my thoughts.

" And I'm Lucy," The other girl finally says, giving me a small nod. She didn't have the whole vibe that Caitlin gave off. She seems more closed off and quiet. And that scares me more.

Caitlin and Niall walk off, whispering sweet comments to each other. That's cute. I'm really missing out.

" So..Lucy, what's your favourite colour?" I blurt out, because I'm great at staring conversations.

Right.

Lucy gives a small eye roll before saying," Black,"

And because I'm a big nerd, I decide to go on a rant. " Well black isn't exactly a colour is it? I mean isn't it the absence of light and colour or something? Oh yeah and isn't white like all the colours? So y'know that movie Orange Is The New Black that I've never watched, it makes zero sense since orange isn't the absence of light or colour, and it annoys me a lot. Then again, I guess black could be considered a colour since it is a form of pigment and we see it with our eyes, and objects are actually black and stuff, but then again, you could say it's actually like a shade. Like a shade of white. Maybe white is the presence of all the colours, grey is the presence of some of the colours and Black is just no colours so it's a form of white, but the opposite,"

Azita gives a small laugh at my rant. " Well then I guess white is my favourite 'colour'," Lucy says, sarcasm dripping from every word.

Yeesh. This kid needs a chill pill.

I just give a small smile in response.

Lucy gives a small smirk and walks away too. Just like they all do.

" Hey Mercy, let's go get lunch," Azita smiles.
" You don't have to pity me," I suddenly say.
" What do you mean?"

" I know that look. Just don't please," I beg, I don't want to deal with people feeling sorry for me. They don't know half of the things that go on, so they can't feel bad.

" I don't feel sorry for you! I feel sorry for them people who are missing out on a great friend. When I smile, I'm reassuring you that they're all wrong. I know that look. The look you give every time someone glances your way. And that's why we're friends, sure it's o my been a day, but you're the most worthy of hanging out with around here by a lot," She says, and from the sincerity of her voice and the honesty reflected through her eyes, I knew she wasn't lying.

" Thanks," I smile, but genuinely smiling. Not the small awkward smile I do usually.

•••

The door's slightly open again. Maybe that means Savannah is out physically or mentally. I hope so anyway.

I take one step inside.

One step.

And all of a sudden I feel a blow to my side. And then my stomach.
And then my face.

And then all the feelings go.

And all I feel is the anger and rage travelling through my body. The anger and rage Savannah is giving me.

" Savannah.." I mumble.

The world began to fade away. My vision flickering in and out of reality. I fell to the ground in defeat and let myself be taken away.

S A V A N N A H

I'm numb. To feelings and to emotions and to everything else. But something stirred beneath me when I see Mercy drop the floor. And I hate myself for it.

She lays there on the floor. Not moving. Not making a sound. Usually she makes small movement which let's me know she's mildly unconscious.

I stumble onto my knees. " Girl or Mercy or whatever, wake the hell up," I say, shaking her.

She's hardly even breathing. She's not even trying. Should I let her die? If she dies then who am I going to take my anger out on? No one deserves it more than her.

I lift the small phone in the corner to my ear. "Oy Lexi, can you get your sister over here, she's a doctor right? Yeah well my idiot of a sister decided to temporarily die so she better come quick," I say.
" Girl why you so worried bout that little stick?" She replies over the phone.

" Hey I ain't making you my next target," I smirk.
" Sure Sav, I'll get Zoe there now, why don't you come over, we can smoke a few joints and whatnot,"
" How are we not dead yet? We're fucking miracles," I grin lazily.
" Right you are, and we're gonna make the most of it,"

A couple hours later, Lexi's mouse of a sister walks into our house and sets up a small station with some machinery, nothing too massive, and hooks Mercy onto it.

" She'll live, she's just a bit shaken up and had gone unconscious to heal a bit, you're lucky she's not in a coma," She says, concentrating on Mercy and not bothering to even glance at me.

" Oh and by the way Zoe, if you mention this to anyone else but Lexi, you know what we can do," I smirk.
" Yes...of course," She mutters, her eyes travelling to the floor.

Okay I am a crazy bish but I can't be the only person who sang the title of this chapter right?

Right?

Right?

Ugh I'm a hopeless case.

BY THE WAY THIS WAS SUCH A LONG CHAPTER COMPARED TO THE USUAL SHITE I WRITE YAYYYY