Chapter 55

Finn and I went for a walk through Central Park on our way home because he wasn't quite ready to end our date. I wasn't either, but it started to rain out of nowhere, which only seemed to excite him even more. He convinced me to dance with him in the rain.

"I never knew you were such the romantic" I teased him.

"I hope to never stop surprising you, then" he whispered, kissing me. I felt like I was in a movie.

Soon, we were soaked and we made our way back to the apartment. We ran inside, laughing, and we changed into dry clothes quickly.

He flipped on the Food Network for us to watch, and I settled into his arms and got comfortable, but I sighed as reality hit me again like a ton of bricks.

"Everything okay in that head of yours, Love? That was an awfully heavy sigh" he murmured with his lips buried into my hair.

I nodded, but my mind was going about a gazillion miles a minute. "Yeah, just thinking" I said.

"Anything I can help with?" he asked, playing with my hair mindlessly.

I shook my head. "You've done more than enough for me already, Finn, and I appreciate every last bit of it, but eventually I'm going to have to deal with all of this myself, also" I pointed out.

"I know, and I'm not trying to take over or anything, I just know you're going through a lot right now, and I want you to know that I'll be right beside you, no matter what happens. We're in all of this together now, you know? You're not alone anymore" he reminded me.

I smiled, realizing I was having a much harder time coming to terms with that concept than he was, and I nodded. This was only going to work if I stopped thinking about things affecting Emma and I only. It wasn't just the two of us anymore, and the thought of that made me happier than anything I've felt in a while – but it also scared me. It meant co-dependency, co-reliability and co-vulnerability. But it was Finn. Finn wasn't here to hurt me; he was here to help me, in every way.

"What's the smile for?" he asked, raising an eyebrow curiously.

"You know, for someone who's never done this before, you're better at it than I am" I said with a laugh.

He shook his head. "I don't think that's true, I've just never had my heart broken before, and you have. It's easier for me to be all in because I've never had anyone to make me gun shy before, but you have. You've given all of yourself before, and it ended with you getting hurt, and this is the first time you've been with anyone since you've had Emma to worry about. I'm not angry about it, I totally get it. It will take me a long time to break your walls down completely, but I promise you, with everything inside of me, that I will either succeed, or I will die trying. I love you, Baby Girl" he whispered.

I smiled and kissed him. "I love you, too, you know. I've never been quite so connected with anyone before and you are the best possible thing to have happened to Emma and me. We are so lucky to have you, and I never want to lose you, and that's what I'm afraid of" I admitted, full of raw emotion.

"Lucky for you, you'll never have to worry about that. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere, unless you ask me to leave. And if you ask me to leave, you'd better make sure it's for good, because it will damn well kill me" he whispered, brushing his lips against mine again.

I shook my head. "I could never ask you to leave" I whispered, kissing him deeper, running my fingers through his hair.

"Ever?" he murmured, kissing me more.

"Ever" I promised, tilting my head back as he started kissing my neck.

"I love you" he whispered between kisses and his lips met mine again.

"I love you more than you'll ever know" I murmured, looking deep into his eyes, causing him to smile.

He put his hands on my cheeks, pulling me in closer, kissing me deeper, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He inched me down to where I was lying on my back and he was over me, his body pressing completely into mine. Electricity was shooting through me, my body was hyper sensitive to his touch, responding with tingling sensations, and trails of goosebumps had taken over my skin as his hands had started to roam. I exhaled audibly and my eyes flew shut when he started kissing his way down my chest. I gripped onto his back tightly, my nails lightly digging into his shirt, and he groaned in approval.

"My god you turn me on" he whispered, bringing his lips back up to mine and we both smiled.

Suddenly the moment was broken when my phone started ringing harshly. "For the love of God, just ignore the bloody thing, Love" he growled pleadingly.

I nodded and let myself get swept back up into the moment as the phone silenced. He started toying with my shirt, inching it up higher and higher, seeing how much I'd let him get away with, but I didn't stop him.

My phone rang again and we both groaned and he pulled away, burying his face into the couch cushion. I laughed at his frustration and he turned to me with a smile on his face. "So happy I can amuse you" he teased. "Just answer the damn thing, you know we'll never get any peace until you do" he muttered, getting up off of me so I could grab the phone.

"Hello?" I asked, trying to sound normal.

"Rory!? Are you okay!? You sound out of breath! You're not being burgled again, are you!?" the voice demanded.

I sighed. Emily Gilmore, ladies and gentleman. "No, grandma, I'm fine. Is everything okay with you?" I prompted, trying to discover the reason for her call.

"Well, I just found out that you're dating Finn! I may not be active any longer with the DAR, but I still have etiquettes and procedures to follow and a reputation to uphold whenever my granddaughter begins courting with someone with influences in society. Why didn't you tell me!?" she demanded.

I groaned. "Because I'm thirty seven years old, and I didn't think those rules still apply at my age. But Grandma, now is really not a good time for me to be able to talk about this. How about I give you a call tomorrow?" I pleaded.

"First thing tomorrow morning, Rory, and I mean it. Goodnight" she scheduled, and then ended the call.

I groaned and laid down beside Finn. "I'm so sorry" I whispered, bringing my hand to my forehead, reliving the train wreck that is my grandmother.

"Hey, don't worry about it. It's not your fault that Emily Gilmore can douse a mood like a bucket full of ice water" he teased.

I smiled and kissed him for being so understanding, and then I got up and headed towards our room.

"Where are you going?" he asked curiously.

"I'll be back, just wait here" I said, and disappeared into the room, closing the door behind me.