Chapter 31

Everyone had composed themselves long enough to finish our dinner, all the while attempting to talk about lighter topics, even with the elephant still standing in the room.  We all decided it would be best to call it a night early.

"Thank you so much for being there for Finn right now.  His sister is his whole life, and if anything happens to her..." Evelyn tried to say, but started to get choked up.  "Just know he cares so much about you, that much is clearer than anything I've ever seen in him before.  He's really let you in, and you have improved his life so much, and he's so happy.  I know you're not together, and I don't want to pressure you into being, but if nothing else, please at least always be there as a friend for him.  One way or another, he's going to need you" she whispered.

I nodded, although after a night like this, I didn't need much more convincing of everything he's done to improve himself.  It's getting harder and harder to deny to myself, and I'm not even sure I want to anymore...

"Are you ready to head out, Love?" Finn asked, coming up and putting his arm around me.  I smiled and nodded.

"It was really so nice to get to meet you both, I look forward to seeing you again?" I asked.

"Absolutely, you and Emma are welcome any time" Finnick said. 

"Yes!  We'd love to meet that sweet little girl of yours" Evelyn agreed.

"I think she'd like you both very much.  She's already taken a liking to Finn and Princess Poppy" I said with a laugh.

"Princess Poppy?" Evelyn asked with a laugh.

"Yeah, it's a character from one of Emma's favorite movies – Trolls – so that's what Emma started calling her immediately" I explained with a laugh.

Finnick smiled.  "She sounds delightful."

Finn put his other arm around his little sister.  "We'll take you home, Popsicle" he said and she nodded.

*                               *                                 *

"Well, that went better than anticipated, right?" Finn asked his sister, and she reluctantly nodded. 

"I'm just eager to get back home to my husband, and then get back up here to New York as soon as possible.  I hate living so far away right now" she said.

He nodded and kissed her on the top of the head.  "We'll get you here, don't you worry, Little Sister" he promised.

"I know.  It's just all so overwhelming" she said.

"Nothing to be overwhelmed about, Darling.  I've already made arrangements with Charlie – you're only taking what you absolutely want to keep, and the rest of it you can leave behind and it will be sold off to support Cholangiocarcinoma research, along with a sizable donation of my own.  We will get you better" he told her.

"As much as I love hearing and believing those words, I'd rather you not say them.  That way you won't feel guilty about breaking any promises if you're not able to" she said.

"Listen to me, we're going to fight this, and I'm not giving up on you.  This is my fight, too, Poppy.  You're not alone" he said.

"I'm committed to doing anything I can to help as well, I want to fight alongside you both" I promised, causing them both to smile.

"Thank you, Rory.  You have no idea what that means" Poppy said.

*                                 *                                *

"Is there any chance I can convince you to come hang out at my place tonight?  I just don't want to leave Poppy alone tonight after the night she's had" he said.

"Are you sure you don't want me to just head on home?  Give you two some time together?" I asked.

"Don't you dare uproot your plans just for me – I'll be fine by myself, but if you feel you must stay and babysit me, then please come over, Rory.  You two need to keep getting closer.  You're perfect for each other, I can feel it" she said.

I laughed.  "Gee, no pressure" I teased.

She laughed.  "Sorry, I may have pushed a little.  But it's only because I'm seeing all of this with a clearer head than you are.  I know things are complicated, he's best friends with your ex, you have a daughter, you're afraid to get close to anyone, but one day you're going to know just how perfect you two are for each other and you're going to be so mad at yourselves for waiting so long" she said.

"Let's watch a movie, shall we?" Finn asked with a laugh.

*                                   *                              *

Poppy fell asleep and Finn carried her to her bed and came back.

"Seems like you do that quite often" I teased.

"Just with you three" he teased back.

"I can't believe we're going to Anaheim tomorrow" I said happily.

"Well, believe it, because I'm taking you there personally" he said with a wink.  "So I was thinking we could catch up with everyone tomorrow night and then head to Disneyland on Saturday?  Does that sound good?" he asked.

"Yeah, that sounds great!" I said with a happy smile.  I missed Colin, Stephanie, Robert and Juliet more than I realized.  I couldn't wait to see them all again.

He looked at the clock.  "It's getting late, it's after midnight, Love...you could just stay over, if you'd like?" he asked.

"Stay over?  Are you sure?  I mean, that's almost into dating territory" I pointed out with a laugh.

"Ah, so it is" he said with a laugh.  "I'll be right back" he said, walking into Poppy's room and taking a pair of pajamas from her suitcase, and handing them to me.  "Stay?" he asked.

"Uh, yeah, okay...I'll stay" I said, not really having a good reason not to.  "So, are we both sleeping in your bed?" I asked.

"It's not like it isn't big enough for the both of us" he teased of his Super King, which happened to be the biggest bed I'd ever seen in my life.

"I bet this bed has got some stories I don't necessarily want to know about" I teased.

"Well, if it does, it would be a purely one-sided tale, considering I've never invited anyone to my place before, which means no one besides me has ever slept in this bed before" he said.

"Wow...seriously?" I asked in surprise.

"Yeah, that would make you the first" he said.

"Wow.  I wouldn't have thought The Legendary Finn's had any firsts left" I said with a tease.

"Oh I have many, and I have a feeling most of them will be accomplished with you" he said cryptically with a wink.