Chapter 42

Finn and I could hear the sound of someone clearing their throat near us, and we turned and laughed when we saw Colin and Stephanie. "Yes?" I asked with a laugh.

"Whatcha doing?" Colin asked us teasingly with a wink.

I laughed again and leaned into Finn. "You two are just the cutest ever!" Stephanie said happily.

"We just got in and Miss Emma didn't quite make it for the entire trip, but she held out for most of it. She didn't fall asleep until after the parade" Finn said.

"Yeah, and now I kind of just want to watch TV in my pajamas and crash" I said with a laugh.

"That sounds absolutely wonderful after the day we've had, Love" Finn said in agreement, taking my hand, leading me to our room.

I flopped face-down on our bed the second we walked in the door and he laughed. "You're that spent already, huh?" he teased.

"I'm pretty sure I'm not moving from this spot" I murmured with a slight laugh.

He smiled and came over and started rubbing my back. I sighed in contentment as he firmly massaged my neck and shoulders, too. I was in heaven. "This feels amazing" I whispered.

"Good, I've got to take care of my girl" he said softly, smiling as he continued on.

* * *

Finn and I woke up leisurely the next morning. I loved the sensation of waking up in that man's arms, and when I felt them tighten around me and I smiled, taking in a deep breath. "Good morning" I whispered to him, and I felt a light kiss on the nape of my neck.

"Good morning, baby" he whispered huskily.

"Baby, huh? That's new" I teased.

"I felt like switching it up a bit" he said with a shrug and a wink.

"Well I liked it" I whispered.

"Good" he whispered, kissing the nape of my neck again.

"So what's on our agenda for today?" I asked him, hugging his arms.

"Today, we're all going to the beach. I've rented a boat for the day, and we're all going out on it together. And then this evening, I'm taking my beautiful girlfriend out for our first official date. I've already talked with Logan and Odette, and they've agreed to keep Emma with them tonight, and so I'm talking you out for a surprise this evening" he said, nuzzling his face into my neck and breathing in deeply.

"I tend to like your surprises" I said softly, closing my eyes, content with just being in his arms.

"Good. Now let's get up, and get ready for our day" he said, standing up and pulling me with him.

"We've really got to work on this whole you becoming such a morning person thing" I teased and kissed him. He just smiled and headed to the bathroom for a shower.

* * *

After both of us had showered and gotten dressed – he was in khaki shorts and a breezy shirt, so I went with a flowy sundress and sandals – we went into the kitchen to have breakfast with the rest of our friends before we headed out for the day.

After about a twenty minute drive, we pulled up to a marina, and he helped me out of the car. We got up to a man at a desk that handed a set of keys to Finn, and pointed down to the end of the dock towards a house boat. "Let's go!" Finn said to us all, so excited that he was almost running to the boat. I haven't ever seen his eyes light up quite like this before.

I laughed as I ran along behind him, my hand in his. "Finn, slow down!" I exclaimed, still laughing.

We got to the boat and he held his hand up for me to step up onto it, and he helped the other ladies and Emma onto it as well. The boat was nice, and large, but it wasn't outwardly luxurious by any means, which in a way was almost even better to me. It's nice to know not everything has to be so ritzy for us all. There was a lower level which reminded me of a camper, and upstairs on deck there was plenty of seating and lounging areas for us all.

"So? What do you think?" Finn asked me.

"I think...It's a boat" I teased.

He laughed. "Well of course it's a boat, silly girl. We're about to go out on the water, just us and our closest friends, have a nice and relaxing day in the sun, with your precious little girl" he said.

"That sounds pretty amazing, actually, but who's going to drive this thing?" I asked him.

"What do you mean? I am, of course" he said with a laugh.

"I've never even seen you drive a car, let alone operate a boat – do you even know what you're doing?" I teased him, patting his chest.

He clutched my hand on his chest as if he were in pain. "Oh, that really hurts, Love. You forget where I was born and raised. The sea is in my blood and there's salt water in my veins. I basically learned to operate a boat before I even learned to walk" he said with a laugh.

"Okay, okay, let's go then!" I said with a smile as he walked over to the ropes to unhook us from the dock, pushing us away from it, and then went over to the steering wheel and turned the key to start the engine, and I watched him in awe as we got further and further away from land. He really was in his element.

"Get comfortable, Love." he said, kissing me on the forehead. "We've got a little ways to go before we get to the cove" he said. I nodded and lounged on a seat towards the front of the boat, holding Emma in my arms and just relaxing as the wind blew against my face, through my hair, just soaking in the warm sun, and feeling happier and freer than I can ever remember feeling before.