Chapter Four: Detention

Start from the beginning

Tick... 3:55

Everything was going smoothly, until something hit Mr.Landers. He jerked up from his romance novel and growled. Landers wiped something off of his face and snarled. He'd been hit with a spit-wad. I glanced back to Eric, who sported a self-satisfied smirk. I heard a snicker and turned around to see Ronnie, who was trying not to flat out die of laughter.

"Eric!" Mr.Landers yelled, "you have detention again Monday!" We all winced. I glanced at the clock; hoping and praying that I didn't have much more time in here. It was 4:00, I only had to suffer another ten minutes. If I can help it, I will never get detention again.

I felt someone poke my arm. It was Grell. She pointed to the seat behind me, with a worried look. Turning around, I saw Alan clutching his chest in pain. Eric was trying to comfort him by patting his back. Alan, however, still had his face scrunched up in pain. I shared a worried glance with Grell, before raising my hand. Mr.Landers ignored me.

Tick..... 4:03

"Um," I began, "Mr.Landers." I did a little wave when the teacher in question looked up. He glared mercilessly at me.

"What do you want, William?" Mr.Landers asked, annoyed that I had interrupted him.

"I don't think that Alan's doing well," I said, with a gesture towards the male sitting behind me. "He's in pain, a lot of pain." Mr.Landers stood up and walked over to Alan. He loomed over Alan and pushed his white hair out of his eyes with a huff of disdain.

"What's wrong, Alan?" Landers sneered, "Detention getting to you? Or is it something else? Maybe your bad actions are back firing, huh? Maybe all the evil that you do has finally begun to take root and kill you?" Mr.Lander's eyes were beginning to appear wild and almost cave-man like. He grabbed Alan's shoulders and whipped him back and forth.

"Stop you moron!" Eric yelled. We both had jumped off to pull Landers off of Alan, however, Eric had gotten to the teacher first. He jerked Mr.Landers back and threw a him on the floor. "Alan! Are you ok?"

Alan nodded and held back tears.

Tick.... 4:07

Mr.Landers picked himself off of the floor and grunted. "You'll pay for that, Eric." He didn't back up his words with much force. Landers was most likely either scared of Eric, or he had realized how outnumbered he was.

Either way, it wasn't like we cared. Ronnie, Grell, Eric, and I were to busy making sure that Alan was alright. He was now clawing his chest, like he wanted to rip something out of himself. Then suddenly he stopped, color returned to his skin, and he sighed in relief.

Tick....4:10

Mr.Landers glanced at the clock and turned back to us. "Looks like our time is up. I know how much you guys would love to stay and look at my handsome face, but alas, I must leave." Grell grunted a laugh before grabbing my arm and dragging me out the door. Eric insisted that Alan was too weak to walk by himself, so he carried his friend. Poor Ronnie awkwardly followed us out.

"Guys," I looked at Ronnie, "I want a girlfriend." The rest of us laughed at him.

"That was random," Grell said. Ronnie blushed apple-red, and scratched the back of his head.

"You all are dating," he argued, "I have no one!"

"We aren't dating!" We all yelled in unison. Alan and Grell were blushing, Eric looked ticked. I'm pretty sure that I wanted to kill my best friend.

Ronnie just laughed at us and walked on to his locker. Grell turned the same shade of red as she awkwardly let go off my hand. I wasn't sure how to keep her from getting even more embarrassed. The route I chose probably wasn't the smartest.

"It's ok," I told Grell. "If I had to date anyone, you'd probably be my first choice." She blushed even brighter red and I tried to cover up my idiotic statement. "N-Not that I'd actually date anyone!"

"Moron!" Grell said walking off. I sighed, I didn't want her to think that I had a romantic interest in her. The problem was that I was begging to like her. Sighing, I turned to Alan and Eric. They were having an awkward talk too.

"I like you, Alan," Eric said, "your my best friend and I would do anything for you!" Eric had bent down to look into the shorter male's eyes. I could see why people thought they were a couple. Eric was so protective of Alan that he looked like an obsessive boyfriend.

With thoughts like that, I must be turning into a Grell clone.

"But you just said you didn't like me!" Alan protested. He was almost crying.

"I meant 'like' as in 'date like'," Eric said sighing.

"Oh," Alan realized, "so we're still best friends?!" He was smiling widely up at his friend. I sighed, if only it were that easy to talk to Grell.

"Bye guys," I said, walking to the door, "have a nice day!"

"You too!" They yelled back together. I simply waved my right hand in the air.

I opened the large glass door and walked outside. The sun was beginning to fall to the west, but the day was still beautiful. It was the perfect day for walking home. I walked past old oak trees that stood tall in the school's front yard. Their leaves were already turning color and beginning to fall.

A breeze picked up and dirt was flying in my eyes. I winced and shielded my face from the barrage. Picking up my pace, I speed-walked out of the school's campus. I passed the church that was next to the school when a car horn blasted. I looked up to see Grell's red convertible.

"Need a lift?" she asked me impatiently. She was tapping her fingers on the steering wheel in an unsightly manner. Grell shook red hair out of her face and huffed loudly. "Well? You riding or not?"

Smiling I got in the passenger seat. "I get shotgun!" She rolled her eyes and hit the gas. We speed down the street much faster than I could have run. The wind snapped Grell's hair into my face. At first it stung, but then I got used to the feeling. I rarely sat next to Grell, but Ronnie wasn't riding, so sitting in the back would be pointless.

Suddenly, Grell jammed on the brakes. I went flying forward, but was saved by my seatbelt.

"What the heck?!" I yelled, "are you trying to kill us?!" Grell shakily got out of the car and walked in front of it. I jumped out and joined her. Laying in the middle of the road was a black kitten. It was mewling loudly.

"Oh my gosh!" Grell yelped, "I think the poor little guy's leg is broken! Will, check the kitten's leg!" I grudgingly picked up the cat. It hissed and clawed at my hand. I flinched in pain but didn't make a noise. Poking it's limp front right leg, I murmured to myself.

"Yep, it's broke alright," I announced. The cat appeared to be giving me the, 'no crap' look. Grell jerked the cat out of my hands and pet it's head lovingly.

"It's okay, precious!" she cooed. The cat purred and arched into her hand. I sighed, any minute now she would announce that she was keeping it. "I'm gonna take you home with me!" She piled back into the car, and I had no choice other than follow her. Grell pushed the creature into my arms before starting down the road.

"I hate to kill your mojo," I said bluntly, "but your mom's allergic." Grell's face was shocked, she had just remembered. She put on her pleading face and she stopped the car again. Grell turned to me.

"William," she asked, quivering her bottom lip, "would you take care of Lucifer for me?"

"You already named it?" I jumped as 'Lucifer' bit me. I growled at the cat.

"Why? Don't you like Lucifer?!"

"It sounds evil!" I protested. She whimpered and looked at 'Lucifer'.

"Fine then, how 'bout Artemis?"

"That's better," I said, "and no."

"Why not?" she pleaded. Grell began to cry softly and I sighed. I was a total sucker for tears. Crying was something I couldn't handle.

"Fine," I agreed, "just please quit crying!" Grell stopped the waterworks and drove forward. Artemis looked up at me and it looked like it was smirking at me. I shuddered, how was I supposed to tell mom that I had a cat.

-Nat