twenty-eight

Harry

My eyes blink open when I feel hot breath against my neck. I wanna smile when I see who's laying against me, but I frown when I remember what happened last night. I had admitted to Emilia that I loved her and she didn't feel the same way. She told me about her family and why she had built the walls she did.

People took advantage of her.

They hurt her, they used her. My sweet girl.

She was so damaged that she was practically incapable of such a feeling. All the love I could give her didn't matter if she couldn't return it.

A sigh leaves Emilia's lips and her eyes begin to flutter open. She stirs a bit then her eyes open and land on me. I can't bring myself to smile down at her even when she offers me a small one. I only stare and move my arm from around her. At some point during the night I had moved us into her bedroom.

As she goes to move from the bed she stops looking down at herself. She turns to look at me then back down at her nearly naked body, dressed in only her underwear.

"Did we--" I shake my head sitting up and swinging my legs over the edge of the bed.

"Did you--"

"Jesus, no. You did, must've gotten hot or something. I don't know," I wave her off standing up. I don't care that I'm in only my boxers and its strange that Emilia is all of a sudden embarrassed to be in her underwear. I knew what she looked like, she'd been in her underwear around me several times. It didn't change anything for me but apparently it did for her.

I bend down to slip on my pants and shirt. I walk out of the room without a word, slipping on my shoes and grabbing my wallet and phone from the coffee table.

"Harry, wait."

I stop, turning to face her. The sheet is held around her body and her face is sad and hurt as she looks at me.

"I have to go," I say, scratching my head.

"Oh, ok well, I just I didn't know if we were still on for tomorrow. Its movie night, Zayn wanted to watch something scary."

I shrug my shoulders, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah I guess." My tone is clipped and short and I'm not sorry for it. As I try to turn for the door again she speaks.

"Harry, are, um, are we ok?" Her voice is soft and I almost don't hear her. It takes me a while to answer, and I avoid all eye contact. I can feel her eyes on me, and I want to tell her the truth. But instead I figure she's had enough and I lie.

"Yeah, we're ok. I'll see you tomorrow Emilia."

I answer quickly and walk out the door without another look in her direction or saying goodbye.

-

By the fourth glass of scotch my vision is hazy. My eyes are watery and my hands are shaking. I down the rest of the glass and rub my hands on my face jumping when a hand touches my shoulder. Turning to come face to face with a tall brunette. She smiles, but I don't return it.

"Not paying for a hooker," I bite out signaling the bar tender. She laughs, taking a seat on the stool beside me.

"Lucky for you I'm not one. I'm Christine." She winks and I smirk at her. Her hands run down my back and down over my thigh running her finger along the seam of my pants.

"You seem stressed," she whispers in my ear, nibbling at my earlobe.

I don't respond to her advances instead I down the fifth glass of the amber liquid and throw some money on the bar. I stand from the stool and walk out the door, with the woman following behind me.