sixteen

Emilia

"What can I get for you?" I asked the customer that now stood at my counter not looking up. It was silent for awhile as I finished putting in the order for the previous customer. I waited patiently for the person to begin telling me their order, almost choking on the gum in my mouth when they finally spoke.

"Are you on the menu?" I looked up slowly, meeting the dark blue eyes of what had to be an angel, and there was no other explanation needed. I couldn't speak as I stared at him. His hair so shiny and soft looking, eyes the color of a Bermuda ocean. The grin on his lips as he looked down on me with his hand stuffed in his pockets, was cocky as he took notice of my gawking. I shook my head, recovering before a girlish smirk rested on my face, turning the charm back on after being momentarily distracted.

"Smooth, but no I'm not. What can I get for you?" I asked playing it cool, as he chuckled.

"I thought I already told you, and my name is Bryan by the way." I jutted my hip out, giving him a look that I thought would make him cower and run for the hills, ignoring his comment.

"I don't date."

"Well ok then, Milly," he responded looking at my name tag, "we could just call it a cup of coffee?" He said in more of a question, as I tried not to roll my eyes. I thought about it for a minute, trying to make it seem like I was gonna say no, when I knew I would agree. The smile never left his face and his eyes never left mine, as I finally answered. You could very easily tell that he didn't here the word 'no' often.

"Ok,"  looking over my shoulder at the clock that hung up on the wall. "I get off in about an hour, this is probably awful of me to do." Referring to the fact that I worked in a coffee house. But sometimes you just needed a change of scenery. Not to mention I'd rather my co-workers not witness me on what I didn't want to call an awkward first date but rather two strangers having a chat. "There's a Starbucks right around the corner from here. I'll meet you then," I pointed to no where in particular, smiling when he walked away, as I tended to the next waiting customer, not waiting to see if that would be alright with him. I guess I'd find out in an hour if he wasn't there.

I was actually wheezing when I finally got to Harry and Zayns door, my fists banging harshly on the green painted wood. My mind too frantic to remember that I actually had a key. It swung open soon enough a very tired looking Harry standing in front of me, looking at me like I was crazy. I stepped inside and out of the cold too frazzled to notice the gloomy look on my best friends face.

"The fuck Emilia." Harry grumbled, running a hand through his messy Harry and walking back to his room with me following closely behind. The use of my first name another sign that something was wrong, but I was still too distracted to pick up on it. I watched as he silently slipped back into his bed, watching me as I paced in front of him.

He looked at me with a bored expression, waiting for me to speak.

"I have a date and I am freaking out!" I yelled, Harry's eyes widening and his body sitting up against his head board.

"A date?" His voice was quiet, and he cleared his throat before repeating himself. "I mean, um, a date? But you don't-"

"I know, I know," I cut him off shaking my head. I'd come to my best friend for help. I hadn't dated in years and I was nervous. I'd finally decided to give it a try again and I almost regretted it. Little did I know it was the worse possible time for me to come to him for dating advice. Had I not been so absolutely nervous and freaked out I would've picked up on his sour mood from the time he opened the front door just minutes ago.