Phantom of the Opera Act 2, Script

Start from the beginning

CARLOTTA Of delight!

ANDRE/FIRMIN Of Elysian peace!

MEG/GIRY And we can breathe at last!

CARLOTTA No more notes!

PIANGI No more ghost!

GIRY Here's a health!

ANDRE Here's a toast: to a prosperous year!

FIRMIN To the new chandelier!

PIANGI/CARLOTTA And may its splendour never fade!

FIRMIN Six months!

GIRY What a joy!

MEG What a change!

FIRMIN/ANDRE What a blessed release!

ANDRE And what a masquerade!

(They clink glasses and move off RAOUL and CHRISTINE emerge. She is admiring a new acquisition: an engagement ring from RAOUL, which she has attached to a gold chain around her neck.)

CHRISTINE Think of it! A secret engagement! Look -your future bride! Just think of it!

RAOUL But why is it secret? What have we to hide?

CHRISTINE Please, let's not fight.

RAOUL Christine, you're free!

CHRISTINE Wait till the time is right.

RAOUL When will that be? It's an engagement, not a crime! Christine, What are you afraid of?

CHRISTINE Let's not argue.

RAOUL Let's not argue.

CHRISTINE Please pretend.

RAOUL I can only hope I'll.

CHRISTINE You will.

BOTH

.understand in time.

(Dance section, in which CHRISTINE, almost coquettish almost jittery, goes from man to man. But too many of her partners seem to be replicas of the PHANTOM, and each spins her with increasing force. Eventually RAOUL rescues her and holds her tightly. He whirls her back into the dance, as the music heads towards its climax.)

ALL Masquerade! Paper faces on parade! Masquerade! Hide your face, so the world will never find you!

Masquerade! Every face a different shade! Masquerade! Look around -There's another mask behind you!

Masquerade! Burning glances, turning heads. Masquerade! Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you!

Masquerade! Grinning yellows, spinning reds. Masquerade! Take your fill -let the spectacle astound you!

(At the height of the activity a grotesque figure suddenly appears at the lop of the staircase. Dressed all in crimson, with a death's head visible inside the hood of his robe, the PHANTOM has come to the party. With dreadful wooden steps he descends the stairs and takes the centre of the stage)

PHANTOM Why so silent, good messieurs? Did you think that I had left you for good? Have you missed me, good messieurs? I have written you an opera!

(He takes from under his robe an enormous bound manuscript)

Here I bring the finished score -"Don Juan Triumphant" !