Alessandra Has No Patience for this BS

Start from the beginning

"Nicole, I'm so sorry," Alessandra whispers, tears forming in her eyes. "I didn't think I could ruin things for you."

The three of us go upstairs to a bedroom so we can talk in private.

"I honestly don't believe she called me over because of you," I continue. "I think she's actually had her doubts about me before I met her."

"But you're such a nice person," Mikayla argues. I shake my head.

"The Jacksons don't like our family, Micky. She was talking about Nick—"

"She mentioned Nick's name?" Alessandra's voice changes dangerously.

I scratch my head. "Yeah... Katherine said I used to smoke, which I did, and said Nick ran away and that I wear $300 shoes." I almost laugh at that sentence, but it really isn't funny.

"Holy crap, Nicole. STOP RIGHT THERE. The only way she would know that is because of Rebbie and LaToya! Janet's too innocent, but her other sisters know that because, when they came over to our house parties, remember, we were always wearing bikinis outside and smoking!" Alessandra yells. Mikayla and I nod simultaneously, understanding everything. 

"Sooo... what do we do?" Mikayla asks.

"Let's just bide our time, Nicky." Alessandra puts her face in her hands. "We've tried so hard to keep this family together and when someone good finally comes to you, Nicole, and makes you so happy... people just want to ruin it."

"Nicole, it's going to be okay," Mikayla whispers. "If you and Michael really love each other, everything will work out fine. His family is bound to respect you."

"I hope so." I wipe away a tear.

"Look, Michael might notice you're missing, so let's go back downstairs."

The (engagement) party continues on as planned. I can tell Michael's going out of his way to make me happy, and I'm thankful for that. Soon, it's time to go and I step out into the fresh air, waiting for the limousine to come back.

"Hey, Nicole!" Michael jogs towards me. The wind flicks my hair around my face.

"Hey, baby, don't leave me," Michael pants.

"What were you doing back inside?" I ask.

"Talking to your sister. She told me it's her engagement party, which I don't understand, but anyways..."

I nod. He's avoiding telling me what they really discussed. I won't budge.

"Are you coming to my house?" I ask. "Dad's gone, if you want to spend the night."

"Nicole, I can't. My brothers need me in the studio."

"Now? It's 11 pm!"

"And?! Don't worry about it, I'll get you home. I don't wanna fight with you right now."

"We're not fighting, I'm just asking a question," I murmur. But he doesn't hear me; just ushers me into the car and we leave.

Michael continuously asks me if I'm okay but I brush him off. I get out without saying good-bye and lock myself inside the house. The whole mansion feels empty and cold with no one to greet me. Dad, Matty, Jen, Mom... they're all not here.

I put my bag on my bed and check my face in the mirror. I do not look happy. Our tension in the car was too much.

No one seems to be listening to me, I think as I sink into the hot bath. My heart pangs as I remember the Jacksons. I thought I was getting along with them, making a good impression, to realize my relationship with Michael could be thrown away.

I gasp. My relationship with Michael could be thrown away.

"How can I live without you, Michael?" I whisper. "I'd be lost if I lost you... but you probably wouldn't care. Your family doesn't, anyways."

I catch sight of the white bottle sitting on the sink faucet. I snatch it and open it up.

"Stupid pills," I mutter, remembering that Alessandra needed them for depression, then got addicted, and I just took it away from her the other day.

I swallow the last two pills with water from the sink and lean back; I hope I just fall into a deep sleep.

My eyes close and I drift off in the dark bathroom.