Sailing(51)

*Walkers P.O.V*

"Sergeant Walker." The receptionist says. Snapping me out of my daze. I look up from the magazine that I have been thoughtlessly reading. "He's ready to see you." She finishes. 

I stand up, smoothing out the wrinkles of my dress pants. She motions towards the final door at the end of the hallway. I was finally meeting the head master of this center. At the end of the day, it was his decision if I was healthy enough to be discharged.  I had heard that he was a nice old man, who had served many years ago. When he had returned, like many, he was not the same man as before. He battled for many years to discover his new self, and afterwards he had dedicated the rest of his life to the cause. Opening up this rehab center to aid many soldiers just like himself.

I knock at the door, awaiting for him to allow me in. Once I hear his voice call for me to come in, I swing the door open to reveal a bright office. Adorned with many paintings and plants. 

"Hello sir, thanks for seeing me today." I say to him. The man in question must be in his late sixties to early seventies. He has silver hair, that is trimmed close to his scalp. 

"It's no problem son, please have a seat." He says, waving at the white leather chairs that are placed in front of his mahogany desk. I follow his instructions, and look around the office as he reviews my file. "What made you serve in the military? Was it always an ambition that you had growing up?" 

"Um, not really. I wanted to escape from the reigns of my father and class mates. I only considered enlisting in my senior year sir." I was nervous, to say the least. I couldn't stop my leg from fidgeting, which made my nerves apparent. 

"Did you consider the consequences of enlisting? Sometimes, when you are trying to run away from your problems your mind is clouded." He tells me. 

"I knew of the dangers of enlisting, and I think that everybody does. Even though I enlisted to escape, I found myself out there. Plus, I built a strong connection with those who fought with me. They became my brothers. I don't regret enlisting, I just regret the reason why I did it." I explain to him. He nods. Writing something down in the file.

"You have gone through some stuff while enlisted, am I correct?" He asks me. 

"There were some issues when I first got there. I was a kid, and I had trust issues. My sergeant helped with that. It wasn't until later on that some of the men at the base found out about my sexual orientation. I thought that things have changed, but they haven't. There are always going to be those who don't agree with my lifestyle, and who I love." I say. Looking down at my hands. 

It was hard, watching those who you are supposed to trust with your life spit out the same hatred that I received back at home.  Having that kind of anger and hostility out there wasn't healthy, and soon it got too much. 

"What happened next son?" The man asks. Leaning forward in his seat, a calm look on his face. 

"They broke into our tent sir, when I was asleep. If it wasn't for the other soldiers, I don't want to think of what could have transpired instead. They wanted to teach me a lesson. They were just boys themselves." I finish. He nods. 

"That type of thing happens sadly, they say that it's out of good fun. Which is a load of bullshit. Of course, when I was in the army, it was don't ask, don't tell. There's only a few out there that have the same mindset as those before me." He says. "When you were discharged, did you return home?" 

"I flew to Denver, where my brother lives. There, I met his boyfriend and tried to become a civilian again. I did not succeed, even though I tried my hardest. I hurt those around me, I could see it in their eyes. They did not like seeing me in that state. That's why I came here, to fight my monsters alone." 

"Well, you aren't alone. You had the help of those around you, and it is not healthy to segregate yourself. No matter how sick you may feel." He tells me, I could tell that he was speaking from experience. All soldiers return with a chip on their shoulders. When you are surrounded by evil and hate for months on end, that's all you see when you return home. It is not healthy in the slightest. 

"I know that now sir. It's why I want to go home. So I can be with my family again." I say with conviction. 

"Your sleeping disorder has resided, and you have started to participate in group therapy. It seems like you are making progress in becoming, as you said, a civilian.  That's what I hope this rehab helps with, aiding with soldiers readjusting to normal life. It seems like we have done just that with you. If you are comfortable with where you are currently, we would be willing to discharge you. As long as you have regular therapy sessions, and remain on the right path." He tells me, causing my stomach to drop. Not in fright, but with happiness. I didn't think they would even consider discharging me so early during my healing process. 

"I would love that. I want to go home, where ever that may be."