Quindall(33)

"Quincy... come in. I wasn't expecting for you to actually accept my offer." Kendall says to me. His smile soft. He's been here for me, not judging me.

"Hey, I didn't have anything else today and if I had spent another day at the apartment, Avery would have had my hide. So, this is more for his benefit than for my own. Keeps him from dying at a young age." I say with a chuckle .

"He's a worrier... how is he? he doesn't really come around as much as I thought he would. Haven't seen him since Walkers welcome home party." He asks, smiling sympathetically when I wince at the sound of his name.

"He's pretty reserved. He usually hides away at this coffee shop." I tell him, trying to not upset the little guy. He nods and walks further into the apartment. I take off my shoes, leaving them in the small hallway.

Their apartment is much nicer than Avery and I's. It's more spacious and could fit more than one item of furniture. I could see that Kendall has more of a say in the decorations, since Monroe seems like a more dark colours and leather type of person. This place is light and airy. With numerous tones of blue filling the entry room.

"I just started to make dinner, would you like to help?" he asks me. Leading me to the kitchen, which smells amazing. So much so that my stomach growled out in appreciation. The counter is littered with different vegetables and spices.

"Sure, what're you cooking? It smells amazing." I say, making the small man blush and shove me away from him.

"Nothing special. Meat sauce and pasta. It's a new recipe that I have been dying to try for awhile, yet have never gotten a chance to. Is that fine?" He explains to me.  Raising an eyebrow in my direction.

"Of course, I can't complain seeing as I have been living off of ramen and Cheetos." I joke. Moving into the kitchen. Waiting for Kendall to direct me.

"That's why you have lost so much weight. You should swing by more often so I could fatten you up." He jokes. I nod, knowing that my diet is anything but healthy.

"I know, i'm used to having somebody cook for me. I'll adapt." I tell him.

"Spoiled brat." He tells me, raising his spatula at me. Which was previously stirring hamburger meat.

"Guilty. So, what do you want me to do? I'm kind of lost around the kitchen if I'm to be perfectly honest with you. " I ask him. He looks around the kitchen, biting at his lip in contemplation.

"You could start with dicing the tomato's." He directs, pointing towards the bag laying on the counter.

"So, where is Monroe?" I ask. Not having seen the friendly giant.

"He's at work, he's had to step up at work recently because of Landon stepping down. Which is a blessing and a curse. He's always loved working there, you could see the passion in his eyes. He was limited though, and he wanted to take the publishing company further. Now, he could do just that." He explains to me, a loving smile on his lips.

Anybody could tell that the two of them love each other, yet I think that it is unfair for the two of them to be separated like this just because of work. That is unfair of me to judge though, seeing as I am an outsider.

"When do you think he will be home? I ask, watching as he purses his full lips. Looking up to the ceiling.

"Hell if I know, it is so hard to keep track of that man. I have given up." he whipser's. The same smile on his lips.

"Does Monroe ever... talk about Walker?" I ask hesitantly. I want to know more about the man. I know practically nothing about him

"Sometimes... He didn't really tell me about him for a few weeks. To my knowledge, Monroe was a single child. I know that they didn't have an easy childhood, and Monroe holds himself accountable for that. Then walker decided to join the military without alerting any of his family. He told Holden though." He tells me.

I haven't really met Holden before, apart from Walkers welcome home party which was a blur to me.

"Were Holden and Walker close?" I ask him. Frowning at the thought. I knew that Holden was gay, so the thought of them being that... close. Put a ball of jealousy at the pit of my stomach. Kendall,  not picking up on it carried on.

"Oh yeah. They were as close as you can get. Monroe, Walker and Holden were considered to be the three musketeers. They got even closer when Monroe left to university. They were each others life support. Holden saw himself as Walkers protector. Back then walker wasn't the man he is today. He was much more scrawny, maybe if Monroe lets me, I'll show you some pictures." He explains to me, all while continuing to cook the meat. I pick up one of the ripe tomato's and start to slice them into cubes.

"Yeah, I'd like that. You know, I've known him for awhile when we were younger, yet I never saw him as the scrawny kid that you describe. He always stood up for what he believed in. Had this spark in his eyes. Yet, he was very shy. Which is why I'm curious. He's changed since then, and I want to know why." I whisper. Smiling as a memory of when I was visiting Avery came to mind.

we were around seven or eight, Walker being in his early teens. We were visiting the zoo, which was in the town over. Avery's mom had to convince Kane, Walkers father that it was alright to come. The smile on Avery and I's face when he agreed was laughable.

When we arrived at the zoo, Avery's mother made us promise that we were to never veer off from eachother. Yet, being a kid, I was always the one to go against rules. They didn't want to see the butterfly exhibit, But I have always loved them. So, I went and wandered off. I didn't know where the exhibit was, so I got lost.

I could still remember the fear of getting in trouble I felt. Avery's mom could have sent me away, and back home to my parents. The thought made me cry.

It must have been hours until walker's form came into view. A worried look on his face, which melted away when he saw me. Sitting alone on the bench, with tears streaming down my face. He quickly ran over to me, his bangs getting into his eyes. in that moment, he looked so boyish, and in my mind beautiful. When he reached me he pulled me into his arms. Whispering words of comfort.

"it's going to be fine Q, don't worry. I got you... shhhh... I got you."