Present (11)

"It's good to have you home." Avery says. His head tilted to the side. It's been a few hours since I arrived, and it's been filled with greeting the guests and listening to their favorite stories of us. Luckily Avery stole me and took me into the kitchen. He's never been talkative, so we've been sitting in silence. Munching on snacks.
"It's good. Are you moving here as well?" I ask him. Knowing that he's now done high school.
"Yeah, I think so. Mum doesn't want me to but..." He whispers. Looking into his drink like it holds all of his answers.
He struggled at school, everybody treated him poorly. He reminded me so much of myself when I was his age. So tainted by hatred, yet the hope in his eyes never dimming. He's a good kid, if only others would see that.
"Is Quincy not in the partying mood?" I ask him. I haven't seen his best friend yet, and I wanted to take the conversation into a safer route.
"He ran to the store for Kendall. He should be back soon." He whispers. Looking at the archway with hopeful eyes.
"Ah okay." I say back. Leaning back in my chair and taking a sip of my beer. The Same one that I've been nursing since the beginning of the party. I don't like drinking, and never have. Yet, social obligations are causing me to swallow this bitter drink.
"This is where you disappeared to." Holden says. Coming behind me and wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I tense up, still not used to being touched. Even if it's my best friend.
As if sensing my discomfort he pulls back. A frown on his face.
"Did you want anything?" He asks me. Looking at my leg briefly. I grab at it, an automatic response. Rubbing out the tight muscle.
"I'm fine. Thanks." I tell him. Smiling reassuringly at him.
He has carried on in his old behavior. Wanting to protect me, and to take care of me. Yet, I could do that on my own now. I no longer need his guidance.
"Well, I'm going to join the party. Don't hide out all night okay?" He tells me. Pointing at me with his soda can. I nod at him. Watching his back as he walks out of the room. His curls bouncing with each step. He really needs a hair cut.
I jump in my seat when cheers break out in the next room. I wince slightly, looking over at Avery in confusion.
He just shrugs. His mouth full of cheese it's. Causing him to look like a chipmunk. I chuckle softly at him. His eyes dart to the entry way and he quickly swallows. His mouth upturning into a large grin.
"You're back." He whispered. I turn in my seat to see what has him so happy and almost choke on my tongue. The boy in front of me was tantalizing at most. His large green eyes standing out again his pale freckled skin. His dark auburn hair standing In all directions.
"Sorry it took so long. I got lost." The boy apologized. By his accent I knew that this was Quincy. God, has he ever grown up.
His eyes dart over at me a couple times as he starts to work on putting the stuff away. I get up to help him. Even though I know that I wouldn't be of much help. My leg is acting up again, and I know that it's time to take my meds soon.
"Not like home huh?" I joke. His eyes widen when I notice that I'm talking to him.
"Oh, uh no. Not at all. The motor way was confusing to say the least." He tells me. His cheeks reddening, adding to his appeal.
"Q, you remember my cousin, Walker." Avery says. The nickname suiting the boy nicely. Avery's eyes give away the fact that he knows what his best friend is doing to my mental state.
"The soldier." He says. Walking towards me with his hand stuck out. I grab it, my large calloused hand swallowing his much more delicate hand.
"Yeah, but that's in the past." I say with a tight smile. His eyes take in my face slowly.
"Then what's the present?" He asks me. His eye brow raised.
"Nothing. " I whisper.
"Well we have to Change that." He tells me. Smiling so his dimples show up.
"I guess so." I smile back. Taking in the unique boy.